How to avoid nettle stings?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Hi,

We get loads of nettles round here and I'd like to harvest some for tea, as greens and for cordage but I don't have any gardening gloves to protect my hands so are there any tips or tricks to avoid the stings while harvesting them and handling them to make cordage?

Thanks,
Asa.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
You could take a basket and scissors to harvest the tops for tea/greens and cut them so they drop straight into the basket although at this time of year they are rather old and bitter for this type of use - better wait until new growth starts when it gets warmer.

As for cordage - the big tough old stems should be ideal at this time of year so if you really can't wait until you get hold of some gloves then either a cloth/T-shirt or a firm grasp works if you are confident yet careful.

Good luck ;)

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I'm sure I read a sock would work for harvesting but for working the stems, can you not pass it over a flame? Maybe not a great idea for the tea leaves but should remove the irritating stuff on the stems.

Cheers,

Alan

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Thanks for the replies guys :)

A little OT but how to I increase the length of the cordage while I'm braiding the nettle cordage? All I've heard is "you twist in extra fibres as you go" but is there a trick to getting this right? It seems like the fibres would just pull out to me.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
not an expert but I imagine you overlap the old and new so that you'd twist them together and friction would hold them tight. Pablo's done a great wee video here

Cheers,

Alan

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
For tea or dye, use scissors and drop the nettles straight into a basket or the pot, but any thickish gloves will work, they don't need to be gardening gloves. Nettles aren't like brambles, they won't shred them. Kitchen marigolds work fine.

The twisting or plaiting holds the strands in place. Just overlap a little and keep going. Just snip off any sticky out bits when you've finished.

cheers,
Toddy

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Ok, thanks for that. Roughly how many inches from the end should I leave it before twisting in new strands?

Back on topic I've found some thickish gloves that should work so problem solved really :D

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Ok, thanks for that. Roughly how many inches from the end should I leave it before twisting in new strands?

Back on topic I've found some thickish gloves that should work so problem solved really :D

Between one and four inches should suffice for including new fibres.

And...... Really,,,,,,,, do nettles sting that much? When considered against all the pain you've ever felt, it might be a little uncomfortable but hardly painfull.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Your Welsh nettles must be nicer than ours :sigh: The ones round here leave little spines in your skin, and the irritation lasts for days :( The only thing that seems to stop them is virtually scalding the sting site.
I found it strange down at the Moot that the nettles weren't so vicious, maybe it's the rain, ours are always swollen tight with water. :dunno:
To work them we have to either crush the stems, dry them out *really* well, rett them down or pour boiling water over them. Excellent cordage though :D

cheers,
M

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Depends on the nettles... Some of the ones on my allotment are unbelievable. I've had less painful burns.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
If you look at a nettle stem you will see lots of little "hairs". It is these hairs that cause the sting.

• If you brush them upwards, they break off meaning no sting. Start at ground level and confdently brush them upwards until you have cleared an area that you can grasp.
  • Cut the stem near the ground.
  • Holding the cleared area, grasp the stem with your other hand firmly and push upwards taking off the leaves.

You will get a few stings to begin with, but once you have done it a few times you will know the correct technique!

Afterall, nettle stings don't hurt THAT much do they!!!

It can be a good idea to wear some gloves whilst doing this, i was attempting nettle cordage a few months ago and all though i didnt get stung that badly i was over confident and sliced my hands up haha!

If you look at a nettle stem you will see lots of little "hairs". It is these hairs that cause the sting.

• If you brush them upwards, they break off meaning no sting. Start at ground level and confdently brush them upwards until you have cleared an area that you can grasp.
  • Cut the stem near the ground.
  • Holding the cleared area, grasp the stem with your other hand firmly and push upwards taking off the leaves.

You will get a few stings to begin with, but once you have done it a few times you will know the correct technique!

Afterall, nettle stings don't hurt THAT much do they!!!

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall

Hi Asa, we did a film on making cordage a few months ago at the October Cornish Meet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S1mSkrq4xs

Alternatively, if you're coming to our meet in December, I'll show you how to harvest nettles and make cordage at the meet.

First you need to build up your immunity first off long before you pick them you must run through a patch of them daily with no clothing after a month or two you will have built up an imunity....

OK now that is over with, so is the human race losing their common sense or is it just me?

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
First you need to build up your immunity first off long before you pick them you must run through a patch of them daily with no clothing after a month or two you will have built up an imunity....

OK now that is over with, so is the human race losing their common sense or is it just me?

I was simply wondering if there was anything that I didn't know about. I've just read that coating your hands heavily in mud also works, and I wouldn't have thought about that myself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE