How the Japanese use waterstones

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I am recently back from 2 weeks working in Japan on a carpentry project where we constructed a tea house alongside Japanese master carpenters. As you can imagine we leaned a lot and one thing that may be of interest here was the sharpening set up. So this is how waterstones are used in Japan, the sharpening bench/trough, fed by a stream to give constant flowing water to remove slurry.

Japan-64.jpg

A wide range of stones, natural and manmade, they tended to use man made up to 6000 or so and naturals for finishing.

Japan-499.jpg

As stones wore down they were cut up and stuck to bits of wood to be used for sharpening axes and adzes, sharpening is totally second nature all of them having spent many hundreds if not thousands of hours sharpening so they can chat or even answer the phone whilst sharpening.

Japan-341.jpg

A lot of pressure was applied which meant the stones cut fast, a plane blade was sharpened on 3 different stones in about 4 minutes. The stones were continualy dressed with a diamond plate and slooshed with water so open fresh abrasive meant they were always cutting at optimum.

Japan-692.jpg

This is a short video Nicola made showing the worksite and finishing a plane blade on a natural stone.http://vimeo.com/13975599
And these are some of my current stones. I had never been a fan of waterstones for the coarser grits but I only had king brand, these cut slowly despite being very soft and needing continual dressing. I now have shapton 1000 and 1500 which cut at twice the rate and stay flatter too. I tend to follow with 5000 shapton though the king 6000 is OK then I use 12000 natural and finish with 16000 shapton glass stone. I find the spyderco stones top right rather hard, they don't cut so fast and give little feedback the knife skating as if on glass.
IMG_5869.jpg

Bigger pictures and more detailed discussion on my blog here http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.com/2010/09/how-japanese-use-waterstones-for.html

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I too often try to get away with a rubbish edge and suffer for it.
Looking at the experts in the videos makes you realise a very good edge must be much more effiicient.

Thanks for post :)

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Very interesting, the speed of sharpening seems really fast, I guess once an edge is on its frequent maintainance?

Sparrowhawk

Sep 8, 2010
Huddersfield
Wow, those teahouse construction videos are fantastic. I'm really amazed how perfectly everything slotted together, like a giant three dimensional jigsaw puzzle. What woods was it built from?

Josh

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk

PeterHW

Forager
Dec 31, 2005
U.K.
Thanks for the link Robin .... the stones are'nt cheap but the maintenance equipment for them is truly expensive .... need to think this over ....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE