how old were your kids on there first camping trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I think they were all measurable in months rather than years for their first nights under canvas and some years later that the older two tried under tarps.

Never too young I reckon!

Ogri the trog

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
Age had no limit when it came to getting them started for a life under canvas,I remember one of them hardly able to walk managed to get up in the morning while everyone else was still tucked up warm in our bags and drag the 10 litre plastic water container 50 yards to a water stand to fill it,though it only came back with enough water to fill the kettle.,They have all slept in the garden and have done from the age of about 10,and still do in their early teens and join me on meets,they all love cooking on the fire.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
We took our elder son on his first trip when he was still a baby. It was to Durdle Door because that was where my parents took me for my first trip in 1949 when I was eight. I remember a later trip to Cader Idris when our younger son was in his carry cot in the back of the car. They started backpacking when they were old enough to carry a rucksack with sleeping bags and waterproofs. I also remember our younger son climbing Snowdon by the PYG track when he was five. Our grandchildren started late when they were five and three. As I read this back, I realise that it was me who was the late starter.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
My boy is 4, he's well used to outdoor walks through woodland and things like that. This year he will be going on his first overnighters. I like kids to have a little bit of independence, knowledge and a desire to be out before they take that first overnight step.

For me its about my boys learning and enjoyment. I find that if kids are too young then its more work than play. :)

When i was with my last partner, we took the girls camping when the youngest was 2 and the oldest 3. They loved it, but it was hard work for us as they were too reliant on us for everything. Still good, but not as enjoyable as when they were a couple of years older and actually had an interest in what i was trying to teach them. This i found to be a much more rewarding experience for all of us. :)

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Haven't any kids, but took my parents on their first camping trip when I was about 27' I borrowed a couple of small
pup tents from my scout group,(one for them and one for me). We had great weather and they enjoyed it so much that they bought a complete camping outfit second hand after they came home, and for many years after that they camped
Every year, in fact till they were no longer fit to carry on camping. My father was bothered with his breathing at the
time we first camped but the open air day and night did him the world of good.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
For all 3 of mine their first trips were when they were a few months old. For a while we did reduce the length and frequency of our camping trips, particularly when we had 3 kids under 5.

It was admittedly hard work sometimes but still good fun. You have to keep your wits about you at all times, not any more dangerous than being at home or on a package holiday, just a different set of dangers.

The younger you start them though, the quicker it feels natural and the more 'camp sense' they develop.

The best tip I can pass on though is to dry to one set of clothes for wearing during the day and one set of dry/clean sleep kit. Keep a full dry set hidden (as they will get their dry stuff wet/dirty despite your best efforts).

If the weather isn't too cold, sandals/trainers and no socks saves you tons of washing up (mine used to put on fresh socks every time they came back into the tent so their entire stick would be done in a day)

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Took both my daughters to biker rallies (in a sidecar) when the eldest was about 9months old. She was born in the August and the follwoing year we took her to several rallies kipping in a tent each time.

When the second one came along we bought ourselves a sidecar and fitted that to her Honda CM250, I made a tandem seat and we piled the kids both into it and off we went to the Kent Custom Bike Show at Dymchurch in Kent for the next 10 years. Once they got older and grew too big for both being in the sidecar we went in the car, at least the wife did, I still rode the bike there, she rode it home while I drove the car.

Fun times and the youngest still go to rallies now with her Mum, the eldest has become a bit too domesticated now for such things.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Mine were a few months.
My 12 year old is about to do her first canoe/Tarp camp next month. She can't wait, especially after she's seen her new engraved Junior Marttiini knife.

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
my youngest was 3 in the tent but ive just spent 2 nights in a shelter we made with my 8 year old and he bloody loved it altough he had an artic bag fleece liner and a hot water bottle lol he slept alot beter than me to

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
thanks for everyones responses, gabriels 14months, but he already loves the outdoors. he has to have walked about a mile before he wont scream at being carried again. i cant wait. just me him and my nephew callum (15). in our lavvu round a warm stove cooking dinner and making plans for the next days adventures. then in may were going canoe camping on loch lommond with an old mate and my lads godfather whos from edinburgh. i cannot wait. ive got a little stream full of wild brownies only im allowed to fish. i reckon hes got a good chance of nobbling his first trout with a cane and worm to soon. i'll be sure to post pics of all of it!

lonefish

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2011
Otley, nr Leeds, Yorkshire
6 weeks in a tipi for my lad, had space for a travel cot and he worse sleep suit and sleep bag and was none the worse. It was early summer but did get quite cold after dark. He seemed to enjoy himself.

I think my daughter was six when she slept out wild camping in her one man tent. I gave her a whistle and pocket knife for the weekend. I taught the basics of knife safety and asked her never to use the knife without my guiding her. The whistle was so she coud walk out of sight and still feel confident she could communicate with me if he got not trouble, she loved it! :)

Last edited:

craig

Tenderfoot
My eldest was about 2.5 and didn't like it one bit on the first night but settled better on the second. But last summer she was 4.5 and came along on Scout camp for 7 days and loved it. She been eyeing my new two man vango alpha for this summer for herself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE