How old crafts die out

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
It is a common misconception that crafts die out when they become outdated and uneconomic in the modern world. The reality is always more complex and I want to share an example to show what typically happens when an old craft finally dies.

Simple wooden hay rakes have been a part of British life for 1000 years or more.

Trevor Austen ran a rake workshop at Smeeth in Kent . The earliest record of the rake workshop there is 1871 and it had been in continuous production since. What made Trevor unique was that he was the last commercial rakemaker who was using locally sourced timber. He used coppiced ash for all parts of the rakes and cut the trees up and made all parts of the rakes in a one man business.

trevor.jpg

Trevor took over the business and saved it from closing in 1966. He has seen the ups and downs typical of many a rural craft over the years but kept going. I used to demonstrate out at craft shows with him where he would make rakes and sell them direct to the public, he could make 100 a week which is impressive. He had more recently been exporting rakes to the USA, Germany and Japan, it was a viable business working without any subsidy, contributing to the economy, but not strong enough to take on staff, train apprentices and expand.

Trevor had hoped to continue working as long as possible and finally to attempt to pass the business on as a going concern but sadly after several years of illness Trevor was diagnosed with MS. Whilst there is no support network for rare craft businesses when they are running there is money to record them when they close down so two short films have been made of Trevor's rake workshop one by the Museum of English Rural life is online here http://www.reading.ac.uk/merl/online_exhibitions/ruralcrafts/thefilms/hayrakemaker.html

I have been corresponding with Trevor over the last few weeks about what happened to the workshop, he said

"our machinery is finding new homes with people who will use it at shows etc, hand tools are finding homes for use when barters are offered , a few pieces will enter a local museum.

Little room was left for us to maneuver into saving it (other than for others to pick the bones clean) then to try an break it all up giving my family a bit of money for their efforts, little that it will bring."

It seems sad to me that this viable business should close its doors at a time when many folk would love to work in such a fulfilling job. There are many more businesses like this that will go in the next 10 years. More info and pics on my blog here http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.com/

Rakes.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Robin,

I am utterly gutted here

Does Trevor have any rakes left? If he does I'll have two. One for me and one to auction here for an MS charity

Red

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Ditti what BR said - gutted.

MS struck one of my best mates - TA full screw and Prison Officer to wheelchair bound in a few years.

Didn't affect his sense of humour though. Many a soul would have given up, but he chaired the local residents assc. and ran a thriving Scout Troop.

Still miss him...

Simon

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
I hope Trevors illness is managble, my partner has MS we do our best each year to enter a few of the charity events as MS research is woefully under funded.

Is it worth contacting the Prince's Trust seems jut the sort of thing that a youngster could take on as an ongoing buisness venture.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I hope Trevors illness is managble, my partner has MS we do our best each year to enter a few of the charity events as MS research is woefully under funded.

Is it worth contacting the Prince's Trust seems jut the sort of thing that a youngster could take on as an ongoing buisness venture.

Its woefully underfunded and frightningly common. :(

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Robin,

I am utterly gutted here

Does Trevor have any rakes left? If he does I'll have two. One for me and one to auction here for an MS charity

Red

Sadly Red no, his MS really came on in 2005, now he spends much time in a hospice to ease the burden on his wife. He can still communicate via email but even typing is hard work for him and he talks through a Hawkins style voice machine so visitors and staff see a broken body and don't realise the mind is still good. I would not like to be there.

I think Trevor would be really pleased if peole knowing about the demise of the rakeworks galvanized some action to help save other viable businesses from going under when the one elderly craftsman has to stop. Two that immediately spring to mind near me are Trevor Abblett the Sheffield folding knife maker, now close to 70 he won't be making for long, and Mike Turnock the last sievmaker, its not too late to buy one of his sieves. I was using one in the garden today to sieve compost onto a seed bed and it worked a treat.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36537&highlight=sievemaker

There is a new organisation starting called the Heritage Crafts Association which will be campaigning to protect and promote these sorts of trades and pass them on to the next generation.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What a great shame

Please publish details when you have them of the Heritage Crafts. If the makers are as good as Trevor it'll be a delight to support them. I must have bought a dozen or more of his knives now - mainly as gifts since they are such a fantastic price!

Red

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Robin,

Please post any contact or information you have on Heritage Crafts Association, I would like to try to get something similar started across the pond. I'm sure there must be interest here in keeping the old crafts alive.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
No, I didn't know about that. THANKS.

My daughter goes to school near there and I go through there on the way to my in-laws home 3-4 times a year.

I joined to UK site too.

Many thanks for all you do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE