How much water

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
Planing a trip into the simson desert next year with my 4x4 club.
Were going in spring so it wont be maximum tempriture maybe 25 or 30 in the day
so how much water per person per day.

Swagman.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It ain't Tassie mate:)

Never been to the Simpson but I have been to the WA deserts on a similar latitude.

Being a sandy desert I reckon you are in an even greater risk of being stuck.

I personally am scared ****less of being stuck in the desert however much I enjoy the place.

I reckon that water diesel and shelter are the most important things and you can't have too much of them. Put in as much as you can and when the neighbours say "isn't that enough" then you triple it!!

Because you never walk to look for help

Please post photos when you are back

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
A quick google led me to this site:

http://www.mtdare.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3&Itemid=1

Under Vehicle Prep it says:

WATER
Water will always need to be carried, but be sure to only carry what you need with some spare for emergencies. Work out places where your water containers can be refilled and how much to carry, for example two people would need 7 litres of water each per day, but 4 people would only need 5 litres each as washing and cooking water is shared.

For a 3 day trip across the Simpson two people would require 2 x 7 x 3 =42, plus 2 days spare, 2 x 7 x 2 =28 is a total of 70 litres. Four People in the same vehicle would require 5 x 4 x 3 =60 plus 2 x 5 x 2 =40 spare, is a total of 100 litres. When water is available every day only half these amounts would be needed.

Water bladders are a good idea as these can be located in an out of the way place, low down in the vehicle. A ruptured container could leave you dangerously short, don't carry all of the water in 1 container or bladder. They vary in size and quality; check them out at a reputable 4x4 accessory store.

Tor

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Spent a couple of weeks camping/treking in the mojave desert a few years ago.

I was advised that 3 gallons a day per person was required:eek: , certainly in some areas you were asked before setting out about how much water you were carrying.

However this was mid/late summer with temps of up to 45c and we didn't actually use as much water as I expected. Early morning and evenings are the beat times to be active in a desert environment, you see more wildlife if you're out at this time as well. Remeber to find shade during the hottest part of the day.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
3 gallons would be 13 litres or 24 pints??!!

Id say that would be detrimental not beneficial. The idea that a person needs to drink 8 glasses of water a day (2.5 pints or 1.8 litres) is an unsuported myth, and it originally meant 8 glasses of liquid, which was inclusive of all liquid contained in the food as well.
Of course, you do need much more water in a hot climate, but 3 gallons is not only excessive, its dangerous. YOu can die drinking too much water from disturbing the salt levels in your body, causing poor electrical conductivity in even more excessive amounts the lungs can fill with the excess fluid and drown you. And dont believe that thirst is a poor indicator of fluid levels, we have not survived billions of years with a faulty fluid measuring system. That said, drink more than you might expect to say on the safe side I guess.

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
I certainly didn't and couldn't drink any where near 3 gallons a day, but this was the level that was advised to have with you.

I guess its generally advised as a guide to how much you may need, depending upon cooking use etc.and allow for extra incase of stranding, changes of plans etc.

I usually struggle to drink a couple of litres a day, but dehydration in a dry environment is more likely than drowing yourselve by drinking too much. You would be sick first :yuck: .

Drink as much as you feel like, but make sure you don't run out.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
3 gallons a day sounds a little excessive, but remember it's not all for drinking!

I have managed in the Blue Mountains on about 2 litres a day, but that was with little exertion and no washing... And I was within an hour's walk of a refill.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
You can't have too much water with you; you don't have to drink it.

Better to bring back half your supply if you have a trouble free trip than be found as a dried up husk next to your knackered vehicle.;)

Enjoy the experience, deserts are magical places.:)

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I hadnt thought about cooking and washing. In that context yeah, you cannot have too much water. But man..imagine drinking 3 gallons a day, you'd be up and down all night, youd never sleep!

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
Have you tried contacting the Aussie military. They exercise in deserts a lot so have a wealth of experience. What about other clubs or organisations that have done the same thing. It takes nothing to ask, guess work could prove costly on this trip. Take a radio or rescue beacon with you as well would be my two penneth worth of advice. As for water what ever quantity you THINK you will need.......DOUBLE IT...ADD A BIT MORE and enjoy the trip, Watch out for symptoms of Sodium Flush along the way.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Don't forget folks that a lot of people get stuck in the desert areas and if you come across any, which is possible, you would also want to make sure they were ok and that might mean giving them water if they have run out, and you don't want to run your own supply short by doing the right thing by others, so having some extra just in case will never go amiss.

BOD

Western Australian Police recommmend 5 litres a day of drinking water per person per day just sitting in the car. They also recommend an emergency pack for 3 days which is for WA generally not the desert.

IMHO this is too little as I know that I'll easily go through 7 litres a day what with getting out and walking to the view point, messing about with kit etc.

Getting bogged or changing a flat in a difficult location can easily add 2 litres to your consumption for the day.

Most bush 4x4 campervans in WA that go north have 80-100 litre water tanks.

And as Sniper said you may have to share with Poms who have become stranded in the desert!

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
Thanks for all the info guys . so it seams 7 litres per day per persom with 3 days of back up water.

Smarty i have a friend in the army i will give him a shoot.

Thanks again for the feed back.

Swagman

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
I'd say that would be detrimental not beneficial. The idea that a person needs to drink 8 glasses of water a day (2.5 pints or 1.8 litres) is an unsuported myth, and it originally meant 8 glasses of liquid, which was inclusive of all liquid contained in the food as well.

And dont believe that thirst is a poor indicator of fluid levels, we have not survived billions of years with a faulty fluid measuring system. That said, drink more than you might expect to say on the safe side I guess.

I second this. In fact if you drink so much water it's important to remember to take in enough salts as well, but in normal conditions, making yourself drink that amount of water while paying no attention to what your body tells you is likely to overwork your kidneys, which need a break during the day.

Drink when you're thirsty.

On the subject of having enough water for all kitchen tasks I have always struggled to contemplate how I would actually 'have' enough with me, and instead have tried to imagine where I would find my own supply, but desert is different, and so is any climate you are foreign to.

Dec 16, 2007
I have always been told to watch your pee and that you know you are taking in enough fluid when your pee is clear at least once to twice a day. This has always done me fine from my time in the army after a hard day at work in the field drinking 2 bottles of water if your pee is not clear you just necked another bottle give it an hour job done. Lived by this rule all the time.

Just my 2p worth.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
half a jerry can each per day for drinking and admin plus two days spare which can ration out to a week plus if needed.

if you have spare at the end then you carried enough.

as elsewhere though as you aclimatise you will sweat less.

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
My mate in the army has told me that the guys normally are advised to take 8 ltrs
of water out with them a day.

He also told me that your body can only absorb 300mm of water an hour and any more
you just pee out. He has advised me to put electro-light drink powder in my water
as your body needs more than just water because you sweat out a lot of different things.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE