Hike and Camp - How much weight is too much?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

UKYanky

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2017
Grantham
Good write up and good to hear that you had a nice trip. When all is said and done you just need to get out and experience what works for you. Now you undoubtedly have a much greater idea of what to do next time and you'll probably enjoy it even more.

The points you've made about the trangia 27 kind of highlights why I favour the trangia triangle. There's no bulk and I enjoy the flexibility of being able to pick which pots and pans I want for the trip (works great with the msr pan and mess tins!!). On the subject of mess tins, have you seen the stainless steel dutch army version? They're great bits of kit, don't cost a lot and clean up nice and and easy.

Thanks, we do try and get out most weekends mostly for hiking and adventure and we have a couple of 2 nighters under our belts now when working shifts patterns allow. We are learning alot both practically and from the folks like yourself on this forum.

Re. The Trangia...It was a bit of an impulse buy to be honest and had I given it more thought I think for versatility reasons the Triangle would of been a better option. Saying that the way it all connects together and its performance, gave me a pleasant surprise. There are so many options though it can get a bit 'overwhelming' with all possible configurations especially to a newbie. I will definately do a google on those mess tins you suggest.

I think on reflection, in my haste to get out and start enjoying the out doors I may have made some purchases that frankly I might not have needed which is ironic because Im very frugal (read tight as a fishes bottom) with my money I tend to buy good kit in the hope it lasts longer and performs better.

The Gods invented paper cups and plates with the nature hiker in mind.
Light and you do not need to wash them. Just put them in the fire!
Also make a good second stage fire starter.

Why didn't I think of that! For over nighters especially I think this would be a good idea.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Good to hear it went well, i would say 15kg is a easy enough weight for a fit adult.

I use my mess tins to cook in often, but i prefer the msr alpine cooking pots. I take the 1L and the .7L nested together, that along with a small frying and a metal mug and and i can cook pretty much anything i want. I like cous cous, with a bit of fried off curry paste added in along with some dried/tinned meat & vegies. When i got my trangia 27 it came with the kettle included, I've never bothered with it, far too small.

Have a look into tefal frying pans if your cooking on a stove, they have a handle attached with a screw so are easy to take down and the non stick has lasted well on mine. A small carbon steel pan is excellent for use on coals or over a fire.

A tin of fried bacon grill with beans, mushrooms, potato scones / bannock and black pudding goes a long way to help sore muscles.

Tonyuk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE