How much do you spend a year on kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

How much do you spend a year on Bushcraft kit and clobber?

• Less than £100

Votes: 22 27.8%
  • £100-£200

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • £300-£400

Votes: 15 19.0%
  • £500+

Votes: 18 22.8%

• Total voters
J

John Burton

Go on, be honest. With or without spouse's/partner's permission, how much do you spend on average a year on bushcraft kit and clobber? Includes fees for moots/gatherings/mags etc.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Hey, I havent seen you vote yet.

The answer is as little as possible, as i cannot afford to. (and be frank, I have most kit already)

And youve already seen the neat stuff I get hold of.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
As little as possible is the only answer, and a lot of what I buy is later sold on so although I spend it I also get it back so my answer could realy be all of the above, depending when the cash comes in.
I think I may be a cash neutral bushcrafter.....

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I voted less than £100 - though it could be over as I buy as and when things come allong.....

In case swmbo sees this.... it can't be more than about £3.50, £4.00 topps! :rolleyes: :sulkoff:

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
£3-400 so far and i only started in August unfortunately, without the other half's permission because if she knew, gut me with one of my knives, wrap me in my poncho, stuff me in a stuff sack then use me as a foundation for the girl's new wendy house.

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
This year, presents aside, not too much. In fact after selling a few bits and bobs my paypal account is actually in profit! So as far as the missus is concerned I havent spent anything this year. :D

But probably a few hundred if you were to take away the things I sold to off-set the purchases.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
i'm over £500

but i've bought a lot of kit this year as i didn't have a lot of stuff that i needed or have upgraded to better stuff to cope

sleeping bag, hennessy, tarp, rucksack, inflating mat, trangia, goretex jackets etc etc

to be honest i don't like spending a great deal, its just the way its panned out. now i've bought the big bits any other bits will be to add to what i've got, rather than to get it in the first place

plus i collect knives which doesn't help!

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
I've said £300-400, but that is in a usual year. This year I've spent a bit more, but I am trying to get her-in-doors, outdoors, so I've spent a bit on comfort items to entice her out.

And no, she doesn't know how much I spend, nor does she know how much I earn outside of my normal job to fund my obsession.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Too much!
I've always been a 'Kit monster'. I do try to be more discerning now and only get the stuff I really need! (believe that or not!) Most sending currently on 'Bushy' blades as I also collect edged tools! Getting a nice selection to choose from for future forays!:eek: :eek: :eek:

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Less than £100. I love kit but try to remind myself that it isn't the reason for pursuing an interest, just a means to an end. (I have to remind myself quite often - SWMBO helps!)
I make/modify a lot of stuff which saves £££s. I also pretty much exclusively buy 2nd hand, or ebay stuff.

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
if i see something that i really like i'll go ahead and get it ,like that brand new aussie hootchie i scored for $ 8.00 at the surplus store:D ....but for the most part i spend $$ on expended items like fuel tabs,out of date medical items,rats and the like...i am happy with most of my big kit items....vince g. 11b inf....

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I've just started this year too, so expenditure was higher than I would like/admit to/tell the missus. Once you get most of the required kit I would think (hope!) it would drop to under 100.

Cheers,

Alan

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The initial outlay will strip you of cash, so I reckon a newcomer or somebody coming back to camping but in a more bush crafty stylee will need to spend a few quid. Stuff can be had cheap, but it does add up quickly. I have a lot of kit, stuff from my days in the forces, cheap ebay stuff, shiney stuff that I really liked the look of, things that I thought I couldn't do without, etc. I don't even want to think how much my wife has let me spend on kit, but with me trying to talk her round to a Bison tipi and a wood burning stove to drag her and the kids along in, it's not enough yet!

xylaria

I spend as little as possible, but i bring the whole family(2adult+2kids). We have spent about £200 on meets ups and about £150 on kit this year. We are moving over from family size tent car camping to hammocking which has been most of the £150 so far, so it is a one off outlay. If petrol and food is included I am looking at the £500 mark.

We spread out most of costs. I am very frugal, it is just my expenses are multiplied by four. Bushcraft and the meets is a family hobby, how else could I have 8 holidays in a year for £500.

Do you reckon a full bushcraft kit could made for free? A hammock can be made out of a large throw whipped at the ends, old rope can foraged as can builders plastic from fly tipping. A duvet can be used as sleeping bag. Food can be foraged and hunted. Hitchhiking and car sharing is used to get people to meets. Then only meets have to paid for. Is anybody into freegan bushcraft?

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
with me trying to talk her round to a Bison tipi and a wood burning stove to drag her and the kids along in, it's not enough yet!

Keep working Spam, She will see sense. Good luck fella.

Simon.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I think I must be cash neutral too, as a lot of stuff I find I sell on

or trade for something.

Like I swapped that camo net of mine for a tarp from Toots, a thing I could not have justified purchasing as I already have three tents!

I have a US army poncho I use as a tarp (as you no doubt saw draped over my beach shelter at the moot...and Im planning on putting a door on the shelter so I can use it as a fourth tent!)

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Do fees include courses and train fares? If so, I'm probably over 500 pounds although
I've not spent THAT much on kit as I've borrowed tent, sleeping bag and rucksack and
had some items bought as gifts.

My next purchase is likely to be a bivvy / bivy / bivi bag and a tarp / basha / hootchie.
And presumably some of this paracord stuff that everyone talks about.

B

bushyboo

I usualy spend as little as possible but this year its been between £100 and £200 because i got a sfa and aussie hoochie and other bits and bobs i always find its the small things that really add up

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Not really spent a lot for a long time, but the last month or so it's jumped up to the £500+ bracket due to heading out to Norway soon, otherwise it's £110-200 area.
Updating and replacing tired kit's always painfull but has to be done at some point :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE