How much do you pay for your firewood?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I went to buy some firewood from a local sawmill last week, i filled my boot with a mixture of soft-woods, which worked out at 20 quid, (i have a fairly big boot and the seats were folded down so thought this wasnt a bad deal!), and they quoted me £80 per ton for some hardwood. Although the lady in the sales office i spoke to didnt know what wood types the hardwood was, but just wondering how this price sounds???

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I paid £10 per tonne at forest roadside two years ago, I bought 25 tonnes and shared it with two neighbours. I and am still burning this. This is for un-cut, un-split timber, you have to collect it or arrange with a haulier to get it for you. I think prices have now doubled.

dandan

Nov 23, 2007
South West France
Over here in France , I pay 35 Euros per cu meter for seasoned hardwood - Oak , Beech etc. That is a good price. I have seen similar stuff in the DIY shops in big towns selling wood at 70 Euros a Stere ( cu meter) .

Bring on the cold weather. Sunny and 15' here in S W France today.

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
I think we paid about the same for our wood, but everytime i see a tree surgeon, or an unloved bit of wood I tend to 'adopt' some more. I also take broken fence panels off peoples hands, not a bad way to do it :). Usually i have a look for wood after a particularly windy day in the local woods, and can usually fill a drag bag in about half an hour.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
at work we sell a cubic meter for £65, a mixture of mostly hardwood and some softwood. we ran out last year so we put it up £5

people always want 'just ash' but the only reason for this is because you can burn it green and many people get flogged other green unseasoned woods which barely burn at all.
imo the best woods to burn are oak, beech, ash, hornbeem, cherry, apple(most fruit woods), hawthorn, elm and eucalyptus. these all burn for a good long time but if they are not seasoned for a year or two forget it.

pete

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I get mine from skips.

Yestedy I found nothing but a load of copper pipes.

How am I to burn that?

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
My local council have just ordered all of my neighbours to cut back their trees to 4m above the road....
offered to take the wood of their hands.... now i just have to saw it all up and split ready to rack up to dry in the scout hut...

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
i would ring around a couple of local tree surgeons and see what they charge...i sell mine @ £70 a long wheel base landy load..all hard wood and seasoned aleast a year..... i would get in quick too as the price may go up if the winter id hard !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE