How much do you pay for your firewood?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Distribution centres and haulage firms are worth a try for broken pallets etc, companies pay for somebody to come and collect them normally so they're glad to dispose of them for nowt if they can.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i womble all mine, know a few chippy's work on industrial estates(pallets) and collect bits of driftwood etc as well as make paper bricks...

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I pay SEK 300 or so per cubic meter for fresh split deliveed (mixed, mostly birch but some pine and spruce). Basically you will pay the going pulp rate for the wood, and then the cost of running the processor (we are talking someting that hooks up to a tractor and takes logs in one end and produces short, split pieces, not the small ones you buy at the garden center).. That works out to about twice the pulp rate around here.

When you need a few cubic metres per year splitting it is fun, when you need 35 the ready option starts to look tempting, at least if you have a job as well. I've done 20-25m^3/year with a chainsaw and an axe, but that is a bit of work.

Oh, and store it well. I have a set of poles on top of rocks, giving an 15-20 cm airgap, stack the wood on top of this with airgaps between the rows, and rig a tarp over in from some more poles (basically the tarp must never touch the wood, and water needs to run off). Then in the autumn it goes into the barn. In the ideal world I'll have the cash and time to build a woodshed; sheet metel roof, panel nailed on with gaps (say 1") to encourage airflow. One day...

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Im another one who luckily gets all my burning wood for free. Just have to take the time to drag it down from the woods and cut it up

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Im another one who luckily gets all my burning wood for free. Just have to take the time to drag it down from the woods and cut it up

Me too but we have a Tracked Barra, when the kids are not riding in it lol

Trakbarra.jpg

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
my wife and I were on holiday a couple of years ago, north of Grantown on Spey, and where we were staying theperson from whome we were renting a cottage wa buying softwood logs at £5 per Ton. at home we would pay £5
for a bundle of kindling that6 you could encirlle with two hands. He did buy 18 tons at one go, and had a big mechanical log splitter, I thought What kind of bargain was that?

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
silentpaddler we still measure in cord but little point putting it on a post as most people will not know what it is..... sames as saying the DBH of the timber :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE