How much do you carry??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Hi,

I just wonder how much weight you carry for a 4/5 nights out in the woods, considering Englands hot n' dry one day and cold n wet the next?
Also what do you take with you?

Thanks,

Paul.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
It really depends on how light I'm travelling. If in a good foraging place, you don't need that much. Gill net usually takes up a bit of weight, axe, tarp or tent, clothes, other food, water, knife, safety gear, cooking stuff, sleeping bag, catapult, mat, really depends.

But probably no more than 12kg generally.

Alex Roddie

May 23, 2008
Norwich
In the woods, I would carry very little. Knife, water, a little food, emergency gear (headtorch, matches, whistle, mobile phone), firesteel, a saucepan, sleeping bag, and bivvy bag. Definitely less than 10kg, probably more like 7kg ... light is right!

In the mountains I would also carry more food, perhaps some spare clothing (definitely more waterproof/warm stuff), a stove, warmer sleeping bag and ice axe depending on season.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
hammock, tarp, some form of fire lighting method ( usually firesteel ) axe, knife, clothes, food, water bottle with purification tablets or filter and sleeping bag.....dont really know how much this weights.. its manageable though :)

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Thanks for the replys.

12KG is superlightweight in my book!!
I got to find more stuff to leave behind, I just cut my backpack weight down to 20kg, but it's still too heavy, what else should I leave??

I have packed:

Rucksack 130 liter snugpac
Tent Vaude lightweight (1.9 kg)
Sleeping bag (mid range)
Roll mat
Mess kit (crusader mug etc)
Fuel for mess kit
Head torch + spare batt
Maglight (AA)
Lightstick
Wash kit
Knife
Windproof trouser and jacket
Thermals
Spare undies (x2)
Jumper
Waterproof trouser + top
Thin trousers / zip shorts
T shirt (x2)
Sandels
Phone
Compass + map
Watch
1st aid kit
Handwipes
WP matches
Foil blanket
Bivi (small pocket size)
Thinsulate baliclava
Para cord
Millbank bag
Loo roll
Whistle
BCB survival pouch in tin

I like to know I have a spare / back up with somethings, such as torch's etc, but what else could I do without???
I could proberly survive/improvise with just a millbank, wp top, and match's (I don't wanna live rough though!). And I can't have a fire really.

Lighten my load!!

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
what else should I leave??

Thermals
Waterproof trouser + top
T shirt (x2)
3 different trousers??? I'd leave at least 1 of them at home, preferably 2
your waterproof top is also windproof I suppose, so I'd also leave the windproof jacket at home
2 t shirts + thermals sounds like too much as well, I'd say either thermals for day use and shirt for at night or the other way round
If you take the best for every possible situation you'll be carrying way too much although being comfy as possible as soon as you drop the backpack...

I usually get a pack of 15 to 20kg, depending on how much food and water is needed.

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
Why a maglight? It's heavy, especially the batteries. You already have a headtorch, even lightsticks and ways to make a campfire.

And just ask yourself with every item: how much do I use it? Can I replace it with a lighter item? And do I really need it?

Or try once to get it to the extreme. And see then if the weight-loss is worth the comfort-loss.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Thank you for your thoughts.
I did wonder about the trousers, but it's too easy to think "they're light and small", but I think that far too many times!!
It's good to hear someone else has a kit of around 20kg, feels like I got a house on my back. Always worked on the theroy of 'better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it', always being prepared.

I guess I got a case of 'too much kit', I just need to hire some shirpers, donkeys and a 4x4!!

On a serious note thanks for the pointers, any other surgestions?

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
That doesn't actually sound like 20kg worth of kit. Maybe you've just picked heavy items in each of those categories. If you want to cut weight the first thing to go should be:
'Rucksack 130 liter snugpac'

Get a pack of no more than 65L (I use 40) and work within those limitations to cut down your gear.

Also, f you trade your tent for a tarp and bivi bag you will save almost a kg.

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
A lot of it is down to planning, if your going out for a few days trekking/walking then you really need to pare back, but if you are going to stay put (base-camp) and wander around the locality take it if you can carry it!

the more times you go out and struggle with the weight the sooner you will decide what you need and what you don't, either that or get some big thighs and a strong back or a donkey!

Adam.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
I carry one set of thermals and a fleece vest and beanie. That's it for spare clothes for me. The ones I wear during the day get disgusting and stinky/ wet. I put them on the next morning, assuming I haven't slept in them. But It's nice to have thermals to change into in camp. By not carrying unecessary clothes, you can drop your weight a fair bit.

Also, maybe not applicable to you, but I use a waterproof poncho as a raincoat. It's around 300 grams, which is about half the weight of most raincoats. It can also double as a groundsheet (or tarp if you use a bivi bag).

I'd bet your 130 litre pack weighs at least 2.5kg. My 60 litre golite pack weights round 500 grams.
You already carry a bivi bag? maybe try using that with a lightweight tarp or your poncho over the top (assuming it's waterproof breathable). That would cut almost another 2kg off your packweight. Also, if you ditch the tent, you'd free up a lot of room in your pack, meaning that you might get by with a 45 litre.

To summarise;

Pack: could be reduced from 2.5 to 1kg or less.
Tent: Replaced with a tarp or poncho/ bivi reduce packweight 2kg
Clothing: One lot to walk in, one lot to sleep in, reduce packweight by at least 1kg
Raingear: Use a poncho if suitable for your weather conditions. Also acts as a pack cover. Reduce load by at least 300 grams.
Torch: Take a keyring light as a backup rather than the maglite.

All the little things add up to weigh a lot. My gear generally weighs round 3.5kg. This is a blessing when doing an overnight ridgewalk where I'm forced to carry 7 litres of water!

Jan 22, 2006
uk
everytime you unpack your kit when you get home, have a look what you didnt need or could have done without.

Its surprising how little you really need, depends what you're going out for.
I try to minimise on food and clothes as much as i can.

my dad taught me years ago about how some of the cloak and dagger lads in the army reduced their kit for particular excersises - brushes in half etc & its a whole movement now... 'ultralight' its usually called.

Its so much more enjoyable to travel light, highly recommend it :)

this book is a great help in reducing kit:
http://www.samedaybooks.co.uk/details.php?isbn=9780071423205&s=gb

i've always thought there is a huge overlap between ultralight and bushcraft, but neither seem to like each other much. Taking the best of both (for me) works pretty well.

no affiliations or owt with the book etc

cheers

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Thanks for the advise guys, I have really cut down the weight issue now, to only 16kg.

Like you say, it's surprising how little things add up quick.
I dumped the maglight and some of the clothes. I also cut back the size / amounts of talc , soap, spare batts, metal whistle for plastic etc. etc. To knock off 4kg is good going. I weighed a few small items and was staggered at the weight of them. EVERYTHING goes on the scales now, thinking of replacing my jacket for a smaller, lighter one too.

I tried fitting my tent and sleeping bag into a 90 liter backpack, and they only just fit, and the 130 snugpac is only 0.4kg more, with tonnes more space. I hope the hammock system is smaller, allowing me to reduce the pack size a fair bit.

The hammock system I'm looking at weighs 1.35kg, my tent is only 1.9kg, so not a huge saving there, but a little size and weight loss has gotta be a good thing.

Thanks for the link about weight saving, I'll look at that latter.
I'll post up my pack weight when I'm done, I can still see a couple of weight saving to be had.
I'm off to cut out the labels and shave me eyebrows!
Problem is I want to ADD a headnet and sharpening tool!

Wentworth, what do you take with you, 3.5kg is ultra lightweigh, interested to see what you do without???

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
Whatever you're doing and wherever you're going you will always pack too many spare clothes.
As long as you take time to dry things when you can and practise good hygeine you can get away with very few spares.
Socks are a must though. :D

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
The main weight savings I made were in my pack, shelter and sleeping bag choices.
I made my own pack, which turned out at around 450 grams, a little smaller than my golite.
I made my own insulated hammock, with a pocket of down under it, which weighs a bit over half a kg. I'm pretty sure there's a pic of it in my gallery.
I also sewed a silnylon tarp, which weighs less than 250 grams
I use a JRB quilt instead of a sleeping bag. It weighs 425 grams and has kept me warm down to around freezing. It also has a head hole so it can be used as a warm poncho.

I don't always use this setup, sometimes I take another homemade hammock with a much heavier underquilt.
1.3kg for a hammock (I'm assuming that includes a tarp) does sound quite heavy. There are much lighter options out there if you want to go the hammock route.
check out www.imrisk.com and www.hammockforums.net

Congrats on cutting off 4kg, that's quite an achievement in itself.
If you or someone you know can sew, you'll find that's generally the lightest and cheapest way.
You're absolutely right about how the weight of small items add up. Even stuffsacks can add on a kg if you've got lots of them and they're heavy duty.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
I think the fact that your tent and sleeping bag only just fit into a 90ltr sack is saying something.
When I use a tent (I prefer not to) I take a small 2 man, the smallest I could find within my price range (i'm trying to find a decent 1 man). And my sleeping bag is a 2-3 season, and packs down really small I fit those two plus all my other kit into a 45ltr sack.

I constantly look for ways to minimise, not just on weight but on space. The trick is to be ruthless, if you haven't used an item the last couple of trips, get rid of it. As Pantalaimon said, think through each item before you pack it.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I find that reducing pack weight is an ongoing process. When I return from a trip out, I go through the contents of my 'sack and ask two questions of everything I took: "Did I use this?" and "Did I need this?". If the answer to the first is "No", it won't be included next time; the second is a tougher one and usually involves me mumbling to myself before making a decision. I know that there are all sorts of variables in terms of terrain, duration, season and purpose, but I have found that being systematic does mean that I can pare off a few grammes each time. That said, the pack always feels heavy! :rolleyes:

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Could take the bold items.

Rucksack 130 liter snugpac
Tent Vaude lightweight (1.9 kg)
Sleeping bag (mid range)
Roll mat
Mess kit (crusader mug etc)
Fuel for mess kit
Head torch + spare batt
Maglight (AA)
Lightstick
Wash kit
Knife
Thermals
Spare undies (x2)
Jumper
Waterproof trouser + top
T shirt (x2)
Sandels
Phone
Compass + map
Watch
1st aid kit
Handwipes
WP matches
Foil blanket
Bivi (small pocket size)
Thinsulate baliclava
Para cord
Millbank bag
Loo roll
Whistle
BCB survival pouch in tin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE