How many sleeping bags is ideal?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brocktor

Banned
Jul 25, 2006
uk
For the UK, (not scotland), how many different sleeping bags is it a good idea to have?

3? summer, autumn/spring and winter?

thanks in advance

rg598

Native
That's like asking how many knives it is ideal to have. The correct answer is as many as you can afford. :)

I live in NY in the US, and I have three. I have one rated to 0C that I use for three season trips. I have one rated to -18C that i use in winter, and I have one rated to -32C for when I go further north. I'm sure you can do fine with just the first two.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Hard to say without knowing where you will be using them and in what conditions but as an average, I'd say 2.

A 2-3 season for summer and a 3-4 season for winter depending on how cold you sleep and whether you like to sleep in clothing.

I use 3 bags/quilts that will cover me for a 15c night down to -40 odd on foreign winter trips.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I currently own 8.

I have several rab down bags 1 season ultra lite to four season warmth.

I own 2 synthetic bags if there is a chance its going to get dirty and damp.

I almost never compress my bags unless i am flying.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
One trusty softy 3 that has lasted 14years.
A good winter bag which keeps me warm in December, January. Between the two of them always a bag in the car, poncho liner and bivvy bag make up a possibe third thats always in my day sack, when walking.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
A 1+ season down bag for lightweight backpacking trips in the summer
A 2+ season down bag for autumn backpacking and lightweight alpine trips
A 4 season down bag for Scottish winter trips
A 5 season down bag for arctic trips
A collection of Buffalo fibrepile bags for bushcrafting

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
Three high end down bags rated to 10c, 0c and -10c

Have a couple of synthetic ones that join together, used to use these a lot, now mainly used for lending. Will use them more as the family gets older

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
A 2/3 season softie 6 for spring through to autumn and just got a 4/4+ season snugpak chrysalis 5 for autumn through to winter. I would like to add a couple of down bags to the collection.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I have a few bags collected over years, but only really use one - a warm one slighly heavier than I'd like. Depending on tempreature I either wear more or less clothes or have it fully zipped up or open like a quilt.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
For the camping I am doing at the moment. I use a 4 season synthetic bag which covers me for winter and autumn bivviing. And a down quilt which I hope will be adequate for the rest of the year (or in extreme cold I can add the two together). Remember the ground mat is the best investment (especially in winter) a good one will add almost a seasons warmth to your bag.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

StuMsg

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Aberdeen, Scotland
I have a decent 3 season down which I use all year round (packs as small as some 1 or 2 season bags) - if it's too hot I'll just use the silk liner, covering cold spots with the sleeping bag.

Also have a super cheap 1 season synthetic to boost the 3 season bag and to protect it from condensation.

If in the hammock I'll use a 3 season synthetic due to being more susceptible to condensation/wetting and provides.

And if I'm snow holing I'd go with the two 3 seasons (synthetic on the outside) and a decent bivibag too!

So 3 bags to cover backpacking, summer and winter tent camping, summer non-tenting and winter snowholing!

costs - £200 for the down (1kg), £50 for the 3 season synthetic (2kg+), £20 for the 1 season (super light but super thin)

Stu

I live in Nova Scotia, similar climate I think except maybe colder/snowier winters. I currently only have 2 sleeping bags.

One is a 0 deg summer down mummy bag, that was very pricey. I'm 6 foot, and 200lbs, with broad shoulders. I normally sleep on my stomach or side, so I find this bag very restricting and rarely use it anymore.

Second is not really a bag. It's a down quilt which is not meant for cold weather. It has toggles on it, so you can do up the sides kind of like a barrel bag. I find this rarely holds through the night especially in a hammock. But it is much more comfortable. Most nights I barely need any covering anyway. However I also have a standard army style wool blanket. Back in May I did an overnight during a frost warning. I had the quilt and put the wool blanket over me tucking it under my pad to try and stop air from entering the quilt. I also wore long johns and a thermal long sleeve and a toque, but I stayed warm. It was about 0 or -2 deg C and that is the coldest I'd be comfortable sleeping in that setup.

I do need to get a warmer bag for the spring/fall/winter.

BigM

Forager
Jul 2, 2009
The West
I'd say you probably NEED only one bag.

Two bags make life more comfortable.

I have about three or four bags though:(

Jackdaw

One. The issue British Army sleeping bag. I've slept in all of the conditions the UK and Norway has thrown at me. It really does cover all the bases and is pretty much bomb proof as demonstrated by my driver in Iraq who, whilst under rocket attack, pulled it over his head rather than put his helmet on. A description of how to make it last all year long is:

1 season - sleep on top of it.

2 season - sleep in it but unzipped.

3 season - sleep in it with the zip up but no hood. Optional use of the bivvy bag.

4 season - sleep in it with zip up and hood. With use of bivvy bag.

5 season - as above but with buffalo, longjohns and wooly hat on. Plus socks if I'm feeling weak. Use of bivvy bag not an option.

Jack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE