How many rucksacks do you have?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
LOL! I thought I was the only one squirreling bags away looking for JUST the right bag. I've got at least seven rucksacks in various sizes, together with pouches, bum-bags, and shoulder bags. And that's not counting the camera bags. So WHY do I find myself looking at ALICE packs, bergens, surplus LK35 bags etc. and going mmmmm, that would be useful?

Maybe we need to start a support group :)

doesnt matter how many you have - you never stop looking. That's how you know you have a problem!! Almost picked up another over the weekend but the wife was with me, giving me THAT look. I casually put it back down, saying that I was just looking as it was a variation of one I used to have!!

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Dutch (LOWE Alpine Copy) Saracen Bergen
MTP Air Support Bergen
2x OD PLCE bergens
1x DPM PLCE bergen
Berghaus Cyclops Roc
Karrimor SF Sabre 60-100
British army Arctic H frame Bergen
Karrimor (old skool) Panther 65
British Army GS bergen
MTP Dismounted Close Combat daysack
5.11 Rush 24
Karrimor SF Sabre 45
Karrimor (old skool) Hot 45
DPM Karrimor SF Delta 35
OD Karrimor SF Delta 35
Karrimor SF Sabre 30
PLCE Daysack/NI pack
Berghaus Munro
Arktis Daysack
DPM daysack of uncertain provenance

Good man - someone with more of a problem than me. Makes me feel better when I see that there are folks who need help even more than I do :lmao:

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I thought I was alone but apparently not.
My therapist says I shouldn't read this sort of thing as it only aids my addiction, I don't need that new bag, I don't need that new bag, now say it again!!!!

i need help!

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
I know what you mean - it is rather sobering when you starting listing kit. After I'd posted I remembered another couple that I have. Hope someone doesn't start a 'how many stoves do you have thread' - I don't want to go there it would be way too embarrassing!

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
I'm some fair way into double figures....that's about as accurate as I can be on a public forum, one never knows when one's wife may be looking ;)

What he said with emphasis on the second part. :)

I just hope no one ever asks "how many stoves do you have?" Then I'm in deep doo doo if my wife finds the thread.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Woodstock, I am after some to take a SAT, Mug, lunch and water. It may seem I am picky but it has to have both waist and chest strap. I have a burgen.... too big... Kids picked up other packs on the way but they slip around. Used to use '58 webbing and 2x10litres on the yoke. As we have moved to the edge of a city, I look really daft walking out of town looking like a blast from the past . Real bummer is if I take the burgen when I go out with the son and grandkids, I get stuck with lunch and drinks for everyone, weighs a ton!

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Reading this post has also left me feeling rather insecure as I only have two rucksacks and one haversack that I use for wildcamping/bushcraft/outdoorsy stuff.
For me it's a case of using a NI Patrol pack or a Highlander Forces 33 pack. Both considered day packs but I find that the NI Patrol pack is ideal for winter camping when my load gets a bit heavier. The Forces 33 is ideal for lightweight trips which predominantly involve my small tarp and bivvy bag.

If I intend to cook up a feast and find that I can't fit all my food in the rucksack then I have Finnish respirator bag. This haversack is also used for short walks.

I don't see the need to have too much more than that. If I want something different then my policy is to sell on the stuff that I'm not using. That way it helps to keep the missus happy!

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
HM supplies ronum daysack
issue DPM daysack
modern version of sas/para bergan
2 old patterns sas/para Bergman 1980's
green issue 1990's bergan
dpm engineering bergan
alice pack large
2 alpkit daysacs liner style
one berghaus 25 litre
Snugpak daysac

Thought I was ok but still looks bad
wanting a berghaus crusader as well:)

Last edited:

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Sell the precious things :(
admittedly I did move on a couple of mine but it wasn't long before I regretted the one! It was my old Berghaus Alp II - like a civvy Roc. Great bag - I'd had it over 25 years and still in great shape. I'd put a fair bit of weight on over the years and could no longer fasten the waist belt over a thick coat. Then I managed to lose a fair bit and it would have been fine!! Just shows - never, never get rid of the precious things, you never know when they'll come in :lmao:

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
2 packframes - skipfinds
1 Karrimor, big - skipfind
1 Gelert Kibo 65 - skipfind
1 Lowe Alpine, camo, zip on/off large pouches - £25 new in sale
+ 12 others I've given away - skipfinds
They all work/ed fine

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Woodstock, I am after some to take a SAT, Mug, lunch and water. It may seem I am picky but it has to have both waist and chest strap. I have a burgen.... too big... Kids picked up other packs on the way but they slip around. Used to use '58 webbing and 2x10litres on the yoke. As we have moved to the edge of a city, I look really daft walking out of town looking like a blast from the past . Real bummer is if I take the burgen when I go out with the son and grandkids, I get stuck with lunch and drinks for everyone, weighs a ton!
sorry buddy cant fit your requirements on that one.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Think I am stuck with a lightly loaded big pack. Still at least I can carry the kids coats! It was a very tongue in cheek post in the first place. Thanks anyway

Last edited:

Buster80

Forager
Apr 12, 2015
Scotland
I think 4 at last count, no idea how that happened!

A Forces 33Ltr -EBay
Forces 66ltr - EBay
Berghaus 30+6ltr airflow - charity shop
Waiting on one my mum found in a charity shop,it's large that's all I know.

One of these days I'll buy a pack from an actual shop!
Buster

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I think 4 at last count, no idea how that happened!

A Forces 33Ltr -EBay
Forces 66ltr - EBay
Berghaus 30+6ltr airflow - charity shop
Waiting on one my mum found in a charity shop,it's large that's all I know.

One of these days I'll buy a pack from an actual shop!
Buster

Nah don't do that you will just get ripped off and it's much nicer having a bargain

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE