How many rucksacks do you have?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I thought i had an excess of rucksacks until i read this thread, sadly i just own a few and nowhere near the fetish level of you fiends

2 x Berghaus Crusader 90+20 both in cedar green
1 x 40 ltr Belgian Issues waterproof backpack

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
Wow, just goes to show there is t a single part of this hobby that's fetish free! I only have two, Karrimor SF 60/100, and Karrimor SF Preditor 45. Don't often use the big one as the Preditor, with side pouches etc is often big enough. Can't really see that I'd need any more... Jackets however....

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I use one of my crusaders all the time and the other is in storage for when i eventually wear out the one in use, the smaller waterproof one is for UK summer day trips hence the waterproof lol

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
old swedish ruksack without frame,
pod climbing bag,
Alice Large without frame,
1603 downeast pack frame
cheap 30 L day sack,
couple of 60 L Dry Bags,
assorted 90 pattern pouches and bags,
various homemade small packs and pouches.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
3 Karrimor Jaguars in various sizes 50-80
Karrimor SF sabre 45
Lowe Alpine?? 35
Vango?? 35
Crux AK47
old school canvas and steel frame 40ish
regatta?? 45
NI patrol pack 40ish
I'm sure I've forgotten at least a couple.

I use:
Karrimor Jaguar 80 as a large pack
Karrimor SF sabre 45 for work
Crux AK47 for hillwalking/climbing
Vango 35 every day round town/hand luggage/overnight bag etc.

The rest just take up space in the spare bedroom.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Berghaus Munro
Kifaru E&E
Mystery Ranch Wolf pack
Mystery Ranch 35 litre job
True North 50 litre canoe pack
Arizzon Wolverine 50 litre pack + pockets

My sons have snaffled a couple of older but still useful packs but these are the ones that I use regularly.

BLAG

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2014
sherwood forest
1, montane anaconda 18
2, montane ultra tour 22
3, montane cobra 25
4, montane medusa 32
5, montane torque 40
6, montane grand tour 55
That's the montane ones covered

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
Crikey you guys do have a pack fetish
I have one Rucksack, a Eurohike wilderness 55 and that has done everything I wanted it to (its had a few mod's though)
And I have a 20 litre daypack

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
ive ve got the m39 the lk35 and the lk75... The m39 is most comfortable, although I'm going back to using webtex type 75ltr pack as it's a darn site more comfy than all the above.

I am lucky that I find them all comfortable. And unlucky that I can't use internal frame rucks anymore. I need the extra airflow that external frames provide, due to the fact that my back likes to grow cysts and I dislike having them cut out.

Jul 5, 2014
Derbyshire :-D
Dutch daypack
Fake german army mountain pack
PLCE side pouch pack
Dutch army sting
Of these only the last two are still in use, the others have been retired and are now spare parts.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
Kriega R35
Boblbee Megalopolis
Maxpedition Condor II
Golite Jam
Golite Ion
Osprety Stratos 26
Osprey Quantum
Osprey Eclipse 32+5
Osprey Aether 70
Bison Bushcraft Frost River pack
Berghaus packable rucksack (F light maybe?)
Sea summit ultrasil daypack
Lowe Alpine TT carry on
Eurohike daysack

There a few more but I can’t seem to remember them

edit - just remembered my Millican Ryan Domepack

Last edited:

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
The only bag I realy use is my canvas pack I knocked up but I do keep a low alpine salient 70L which iv only used a few times for extended trips and iv also a pro force 25 I think that I keep for any trips to the lakes yomping up big hills! Think it's also known as mountaineering

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Presently I own
A dutch army sting, which is pretty good, but not perfect
A vintage Vango, which is as heavy and hard wearing as the sting, arguably more comfortable, but not as capacious as the sting, it is my BOB with room to spare to bung my laptop in if I have to make a quick exit.
A vaude whatever, has an external frame, which is the most comfortable but the shape is wrong for bulky loads, holds about 25 ltr's
A BCB patrol pack, again about 25 ltrs, not as comfortable as the vaude, but carries bulky stuff more easily. Not a very good pack quality wise though, I have had to repair it, however it does mostly for shopping these days
A webtex bergen, the less said about it the better, utter rubbish, I use it for storage
A vintage even more vintage than my vango cobmaster external frame pack (who remembers them) why did they go out of fashion, you can strap anything to it, although the suspension system leaves a lot to be desired
A stuffable 15 ltr day pack from Kathmandu (the store not the town) which arguably sees more use than any other of my bags as a general bimble bag.
I have had more than that in my time including two proper Bergans of norway Bergans, which I never should have got rid of really but I considered the frames excessively heavy and the canvas prone to rot.
The best rucksack of all is the one I do not yet own, I haver much between vintage and the advantages of modern lightweight technology. I have in the past made two of my own rucksacks, one of which was so good the guy who burgled my flat filled it to the brim with my goodies and took it with him as he abseiled from my fourth floor window on the flex he had cut from my vax vacuum cleaner using my John Nowill bowie presumably which also went with him.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
old swedish ruksack without frame,
pod climbing bag,
Alice Large without frame,
1603 downeast pack frame
cheap 30 L day sack,
couple of 60 L Dry Bags,
assorted 90 pattern pouches and bags,
various homemade small packs and pouches.

Pics of the ALICE large please. I'm curious how you attach the straps without a frame, as they don't have any attachment points? Did you modify it yourself?

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Unfortunatley no photos. At the moment it is used as a storage bag, I had attached it to the downeast pack frame by simply putting long straps around the entire thing / bungie-ing it to the frame - it worked. I have seen photos of people using a 1603 or a 1606 frame with an alice pack but I haven't really sat down and got mine properly sorted yet.

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
Far too many to be honest (though reading the above posts I feel a lot better!)
Berghaus Vulcan (22 years and counting)
Berghaus Cyclops 65+15
Berghaus Alpine Extrem climbing pack (now retired)
Berghaus Phantom 37 climbing pack
Berghaus Free flow 35+8 (a pattern is emerging here)
Alpkit Gourdon 20 (my go-to pack nowadays)
Templar 40 litre molle pack
British issue patrol pack (lives in my boot filled with warm stuff and emergency gear)
Scottish mountain gear hold all (to store all the rucksacks)
Lomo 60 litre drybag hold all (bought as my old one was full of rucksacks!)

Now I write them all down I realise why there's no room at my house.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE