How many people

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Just wondering how many people here would love to be able to practise thier hobby in the woods but feel they cant because they suffer from a dissabillity or they have child care issues etc. I know thats a bit of a in your face type personal question and I'm sorry if anyones offended by it, no offence intended at all. Its just that i was working on gaining a permission a while ago on behalf of BCUK members which offers loads of facilites, very family orientated and is really reasonable in terms of fees. We gained that permission and its time it was put to some use. I was also wondering how many people would be happy to help disabled members or families humping kit, putting up tents/hammoks etc. we've touched on this once before and everyone I spoke to said they'd be happy to help so i think i already know the answer to that one. The site is Tawd Vale Scout Camp, lovely area, have a look here. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their kind words of support during the last few months concerning my father in law who is terminally ill with cancer. It looks like he's going be around for the next 8 months or so and i don't mean sound selfish but i need to get away as well.
your thoughts please folks, good idea/bad idea, what do you think?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Congratulations in getting the permission Gray. It looks a great site :)

It's hard enough getting that sort of thing nowadays in the light of such sites wanting CRB's etc etc etc.

But sadly it's a bit far for me to commit to on a regular basis but I wish you luck with it all.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
I've done a kind of deal with the site manager concerning Crb's. hes happy as long as some of the group are Crb'd and if memory serves me correctly, a lot of us are. All my work mates are and so is my brother so i can get people to pitch in if we get stuck but its not going to be a problem, I'm sure of that. Thanks for your support, I appreciate it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think if you got folk from here to come along then they'd be more than willing to help out those less able, in a none professional capacity of course, we're just a nice helpful bunch on here. I don't really do meets but those I have attended there's always been somebody to help out with newbies setting up or sharing skills etc, passing on the knowledge is part of the fun I think.

noonan79

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2012
cheshire
If I'm there and can lend a hand to anyone who needs/wants help with anything its no problem with me. I thought it was tawd vale when you were describing it in your thread previously, I've got a 4" batle scar on my leg from when I was in the scouts many moons ago. I was on crutches all that summer holidays!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Very well done on obtaining the permission, and trying to organise help for those a little less able :D

A lot of the time I'm fine, really; other times the stairs in the house can seem like Everest :sigh:
The only time I tried to camp when things were bad my sons came with me and set up camp. By the next morning they said, "We're taking you home.", and they did.
I spent the next four days in bed as the RA flared red hot through me. It settled though :)

That matters too; if it doesn't go well, let folks go home with good memories and no pestering to endure things; it'll only put them off.

People are generally helpful, (especially among the bushcrafters I find) but often they don't know 'how' to help, or when it's appropriate to step in and even ask.
Quiet words, be open about things, clear introductions among people, explain to both sides, and often the,"Can I show you how?", is the gentlest way to encourage folks to try :)
Even the less able are capable of doing a great deal in their own time on their own terms, and that's a big part of it; to feel the reward of knowing you can do :D

Very best of luck with it :) I'm too far away to be actively involved, but if I can help with resources, samples, teaching stuff, etc., let me know ?

atb,
Mary

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
A bit too far for me :( The concept is really great though and I wish you every success. I also have physical limitations (from work injuries) and certainly understand the need for places like these. An overnighter for people like me; although fun and a much needed social respite, often leave us with days/weeks of painful recovery so any help is a bonus.

There really are some thoughtful people out there :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE