How many eggs...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
:)

Long time ago in more adventurous times, I used to take the yolks from hard boiled eggs (sliced in half longwise). Mix up with mayonnaise and curry powder, then put that back into the eggs. Just like on the adverts.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The concept is called "Deviled" eggs for all the spice and heat that you can add to a mash of egg yolks and then add back to the HB white halves.
I have a recipe that can melt your eyebrows. I just back off for the savory and forego the heat. Simple BBQ party hors d'ouvre.
Personally, I'm rather fond of 2-month old pickled eggs.

Reactions: Billy-o

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
BTW, I can add a link when I find it again = big UK study of egg consumption. Several thousand people.
You ate either 2 eggs per week or 12 eggs per week. Dragged on for months. Weekly blood tests for cholesterol/lipids.
Result? No lipid increase over normal for the 12 egg people or the 2 egg people. Myth BUSTED.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Devilled aggs! That's it.

Periodically, my wife will go for a time making these egg white omelettes with bran and 0% greek yoghurt in them. With chives and spinach added in, they are nothing like as grim and unpalatable as they sound, especially if hit with the tabasco :)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
We sometimes make devilled eggs too. Shows our age I guess?
The Tabasco was a good idea.

Eggs are a wonderful food. In the old days I used to carry severel hard boiled ones with me on my overnight fishing trips.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
I love eggs. Boiled, preferably soft. Fried, sunny side up. Poached, soft and eaten with smoked salmon. Egg sandwiches, mash boiled egg with mayo and add water cress. Never heard of devilled Eggs. Will have them for lunch some time during the coming week :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Start a bunch (6?) of eggs in cold water on medium heat to eventually boil for 15 minutes.
Chill, peel and slice in half, lengthwise. Fork out the yolks into a bowl.
Add 2 tbs mayo
1tbs vinegar
1/2 tsp dry mustard (use what you like, as hot as you want = devil heat.)
S&P to taste
Mash all and refill the egg whites. Garnish with a sprinkle of paprika.

Reactions: santaman2000

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Classic receipe!

I think it is important the yolk mix rests in the fridge for a bit.

Personally I like to use Maille l’Ancienne mustard, the almost whole grains give an interesting ‘bite’ to the eggs.

If you wish to serve as a retro ( for you youngsters) starter, quarter the boiled eggs, then sprinkle the egg yolk mix with:
classic paprika powder,
smoked paprika powder,
Cayenne pepper,
Colemans mustard powder mixed with a little bit of Turmeric.

Serve 4 quarters on a plate, surrounded by salad of your liking.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
For fully retro, try salad cream instead of mayo. Then, once adjusted, you can work in the prawn cocktail and black forest gateaux. :lol: Baby steps, mind. You needed a robust palate in the 70s

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Recipes are just that. The starting points for creativity.
Curry powder is OK but the eggs need to sit in the fridge overnight for the flavor to develop.

I'm happy enough with my kids grown and gone and a whole jar full of pickled eggs all to myself.
They liked to leave one for me. Make more? Heaven forbid that we should help.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
For fully retro, try salad cream instead of mayo. Then, once adjusted, you can work in the prawn cocktail and black forest gateaux. :lol: Baby steps, mind. You needed a robust palate in the 70s
If you lived in Sweden during the 70’s, you would eat the stuff that was popular worldwide ( in the Western culture anyway) plus some unique Swedish stuff.

I love a trad B F gateau, but thinking of the rest of the 70’s diet gives me indigestion and nightmares.

Nouvelle Cuisine was not much better.

Salad Cream? You mean Sandwich Cream? :)

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Did Sandwich Cream have bits in it? ... ah, no .. that was Sandwich Spread .... Salad cream is something specific from Heinz. They periodically threaten to discontinue it which spawns another flurry of nostalgia and a new generation of sales.

Salad_Cream.png

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There's a UK condiment which I believe would sit well with Deviled Eggs = Branston Pickle(?)
Major Grey chutney is a keeper.

Salad Cream tastes a lot like Ranch salad dressing. Ho-hum. Might be OK to sauce a white pizza.

I am going to try to build waffles with 100% corn flour. I'll add 1 or 2 extra eggs as binder.
Sure hope it works or I will have a great mess in the irons. Salt like popcorn?

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
How many eggs can you get through in a week?

The question has made me realise that unless I head to the woods and cook there, several months and probably more would pass before partaking of an ommelette or scrambled egg.

So to answer you question as least 2 a week for the last 24 months.

K

BrokenDoll

Jul 4, 2018
Berkshire
I was vegan for 5 years and have only recently gone back to vegetarian. One of the things I really used to crave was a fried egg sandwich (usually when I had a hangover).

Now I'm back to egg eating I probably eat 2 a week on average. Mind you, the ones I get are double yolked so it's technically 3-4 pw :emoji_cooking:

If you're not bothered about extra income from selling them then most animal rescues (esp dog rescues) would be very happy to take any excess eggs off your hands :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE