How long have you been without a wash?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Two weeks on exercise at Fort Bragg in the States. Thank the Lord for unscented wet wipes!
Mind you the portaloos weren't emptied for the two weeks either. Six loos for a Battalion sized formation-------------------Phew!

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
As soon as we got married, 41 years ago this May, my wife said to me..."I want you to be really dirty with me from now on" so we've never washed since. :rolleyes:

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Never more than a couple of days, and that was wearing green (exercise only, not ops). One of the joys of bushcraft is the chance to run round in the great outdoors wearing nothing but a cheeky grin on the pretence of having a wash...

:)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
MikeE, i see you have never been security on a big festival.

Who can muck up the loos quicker, ladies or gents?

(and guess what happened when the ladies got icky even by female standards)

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Last edited:

Locky

Tenderfoot
Jan 28, 2010
South wales
Around a week, but had a "mexican shower" within that week. (mexican shower - to mask the smell of BO by spraying or rolling on deodorant)

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
1 week. out in the sun (so I was sweating like a pig)
but since I was on a scout camp of 4000 odd kids, with 20 showers, only 10 of which worked at all (and most of the rest where freezing cold) most of the guys didn't bother either, so we all smelled pretty ripe by the end of it. no-one really minded.

did keep our teeth clean however.

Hangman

Tenderfoot
jonajuna, as a teen I had unusually bad acne (I ended up being referred by my GP) I used to shower twice daily and the consultant told me that once a day (unless getting really grot) was sufficient as what I was doing was stripping the skin of it's oil completely and the glands were over producing hence the acne. Started showering once a day and six months later the acne stopped.

So there is something as being too clean.

Alexlebrit

Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2009
France
About a week, but now if there's a wet-wipe I'll have it.

Record that I know of was a homeless guy called Bernard used to come in the shelter I worked in, he was in his late sixties, big beard, long hair, always wore what I thought were black wax-cotton jacket and trousers, and big boots. He'd last washed when he went on the road at the end of his national service, so that was almost fifty years. Mind you we did used to open all the doors and windows if he was in.

Oh and the wax cotton? Nope that was his own body oils soaked into everything.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
About a week, but now if there's a wet-wipe I'll have it.

Record that I know of was a homeless guy called Bernard used to come in the shelter I worked in, he was in his late sixties, big beard, long hair, always wore what I thought were black wax-cotton jacket and trousers, and big boots. He'd last washed when he went on the road at the end of his national service, so that was almost fifty years. Mind you we did used to open all the doors and windows if he was in.

Oh and the wax cotton? Nope that was his own body oils soaked into everything.

I wondered what happened to my ex-father-in-law. I think you have found him. :D

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Two weeks is okay when camping because I usually end up smelling of woodsmoke. fresh pants and socks help though. :rolleyes:

You get the whole bag seat to yourself on the bus home too.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Around a week, but had a "mexican shower" within that week. (mexican shower - to mask the smell of BO by spraying or rolling on deodorant)

That's what we called a squaddie wash way back when. :)

I always refer to it as 'dry cleaning' :D

About a week is max for me (clean undies and teeth washing though!) - on expeditions it becomes the norm I thought.....:rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE