How long have you been without a wash?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Interesting. Does anyone know what the personal hygiene regimens of "primitive" cultures like the San, or the Aussie Aboriginals are?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I don't recall how long, but my boiler's packed in so I'm working on a new record at the moment. Although the deodorant I am using would probably cost more than the bouler being fixed. :D

Seriously though, what do people do when backpacking and wildcamping for extended periods of time? I just splash a little stream or tarn water on me or if the weather is nice I will take a dip. I don't bother with deodorants (excess weight, prefer to stink) and never have any of those wet wipes some swear by. I am tempted with carrying a j cloth so I can at least have a wash down occasionally. Another one for a towel (they are lighter than a micro fibre towel and dry quicker too plus cheaper). That's a good tip carry j cloths. Cheap, absorbent and light. YOu can use them for dishcloths, tea towels and a separate one for cleaning yourself. If you have tent condensation then they are good for mopping that up too.

MickG

Forager
Feb 2, 2009
Blackwood South Wales
Not been in that situation of not being able to wash.
Depending on your own circumstances with weather and location the main problems are armpits ,groin ,butt cheeks and feet
If you have fire and water,heat a mess tin to warm water,if not, use cold ,or warm left in the sun ,if you have soap product and flannel /J cloth ,sponge, to use wet and wash the face neck and ears and then dry
Wash the groin area with with damp flannel by dropping clothes to knee area rinse with warm water and dry area, swill out cloth and start on cheeks and butt, rinse with fresh water and dry area and restore clothing
Remove one shoe and sock ,Wash foot and dry,replace sock and shoe and repeat for other,
The same method can be used with wet soapy hands if you dont have cloth or sponge

If there is any water left drop in a boil in the bag meal and bring back to the boil scrape sludge off bag and eat,only joking on the last part
I dont use deoderent sprays I use a small block of cristal allum that you wet and rub under arms etc. it kills bacteria
Mick

MickG

Forager
Feb 2, 2009
Blackwood South Wales
No.
Not ex forces
Just when young we had no heating in the house other than a roaring fire in the lounge/living room
Bath room was freezing in winter, bathing was ok but freezing when wet getting out and only bathed once a week but every day washed the important places mentioned above to keep fresh as described, not to get to cold
Due to retire this year and still do the same ,have never suffered with rashes or skin problems other than a bit of athleats foot so cant be to bad
Mick

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
No.
Not ex forces
Just when young we had no heating in the house other than a roaring fire in the lounge/living room
Bath room was freezing in winter, bathing was ok but freezing when wet getting out and only bathed once a week but every day washed the important places mentioned above to keep fresh as described, not to get to cold
Due to retire this year and still do the same ,have never suffered with rashes or skin problems other than a bit of athleats foot so cant be to bad
Mick

Hahahahaa that sounds so familiar. :)

Grandparents brought us up, and the house had linoleum on the floors. There was a rug or square of carpet in the middle of the room (rolled back in the living room for parties and dancing etc.). The lobby had a long thin carpet, but only visitors and guests used the front door, everyone else entered through the kitchen.

A bath was once a week (whether you thought you needed it or not) and the daily wash routine was as you describe above, and we each had our own flannel. Army routine was the same and is still taught I hope.

No central heating, but hot water bottles a plenty, woolen blankets, patchwork quilts and bed socks.

Happy days. :)

All the best Mick,

Liam

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
What were those?
We had the plates out of the oven by the fire wrapped in news paper and a towel
Thick army blankets and bed socks
Mick

:lmao::lmao:

You lot don't know ye were born..., when a werr a lad every day we had to...

Classic!!

Always makes me laugh. :D

Liam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE