How I Live now (film review)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Since we all love a good "Armageddon" sci fi flick, I thought I would review the latest offering.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1894476/

In the interests of full disclosure I love dystopian fiction - from zombie flicks to "The Day after tomorrow" - I'm in - wreck the world and pass the popcorn

I've just watched the latest offering in the genre. A bomb goes off, kids are separated and fight to get back together (worryingly a little more than "kissing cousins" - more "duelling banjos" - but lets move on) - okay its been done but could be a platform that works - its basically "The Quest" (from "there are only seven stories") combined with a bit of "Boy meets girl"

Definitely meant to be a "chick flick" - lots of girly angst and pretty camera work.

Did I enjoy it? No, not for a minute - it was dire -whiney, narcissistic, oestrogen fuelled tripe to be honest - think "28 Days Later" brought to you by the writers of "Twilight"

Shame because I like the genre - tough chicks surviving against the odds are great - but if you want a female proponent in survival fiction, buy a hot dog and rent "Tomorrow when the war began" , good book, good film, great fun. This oestrogen fuelled incest fest is one to avoid at all costs.

I hate to "hate on" a film - but really - life is short - this film should be!

Straight to DVD methinks

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've never even heard of this one. But just looking at the link, it does look bad. And I also like the genre.

Try WWZ; I think you'll like it better.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've never even heard of this one. But just looking at the link, it does look bad. And I also like the genre.

Try WWZ; I think you'll like it better.

It was certainly better - not great, but better than this!

I love a good teen angst movie don't get me wrong - from the magnificent "Gregory's Girl" to the triumph of the Harry Potter babe that is "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" - both seminal films

So, like teen angst, like dystopia - but just plain hate this :(....actually worse....its was "dull"...hate is an emotion.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I too love this type of movie. Haven't seen this one. I have seen WWZ and liked it. A particular one I really liked was planet terror:)

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Another genre fan. Thanks for the heads down on this one. What's your favourite film/book of this ilk (good ones not bad ones) I'd be interested to know as in my experience there are very few well done items on the list. love the Craig De Louis books personally but really after a great Armageddon adventure with survival strong over tones.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Another genre fan. Thanks for the heads down on this one. What's your favourite film/book of this ilk (good ones not bad ones)

Hmmm there are some superb books out there - let me pick a few from modern and classic

Lucifers Hammer (superbly written, great characters, makes you think how you would react)
One Second After ( strips away any cosy feelings about a world without health care)
Lights Out (probably the best , modern, British set, book - although "There Falls no Shadow" is close)
Day of the Triffids (I would argue that "The Kraken Wakes" by the same author is better - but less well known)
Death of Grass (a great classic spine chiller)

Hope that helps

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Cheers Red, agree about the Kraken Wakes- a film waiting to be made if ever there was one. I will order Lights Out as this seems to crop up a lot in good reviews. Many thanks for response.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hmmm there are some superb books out there - let me pick a few from modern and classic

Lucifers Hammer (superbly written, great characters, makes you think how you would react)
One Second After ( strips away any cosy feelings about a world without health care)
Lights Out (probably the best , modern, British set, book - although "There Falls no Shadow" is close)
Day of the Triffids (I would argue that "The Kraken Wakes" by the same author is better - but less well known)

Hope that helps

Oh, the Death of Grass, that is an oldie, I think they turned it into a radio 4 play a while back.

Thanks for the review, I'd already marked as one to wait for on video if at all.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
If you like that type of film genre, I'd highly recommend you see Stake Land. Its not your usual vampirey, teenager affair - its actually a very good post-apocolypse horror/adventure film.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Hope that helps

Good books, I'll send you ebook versions when you get a reader.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Perhaps BR could replace Christopher Tookey - bloody awful film critic he is! Unfortunately that would mean he would have to work for the dreaded Daily Mail though...

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Aaargh - try again (wrong title) The book I was thinking of was "Last Light"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Light-Alex-Scarrow/dp/0752893270

Lights Out is okay too - but not as good!

I came in to post about this, but then i realized you were talking about a different book than i was thinking of. I thought it was a book the game Metro:Last Light was based on. So im going a bit off topic here, but it might interest someone anyway.

I should say, ive never actually got round to reading this book, just experienced the story through the game. (and loved it)
Basically a post apocalyptic story about survivors of a nuclear war living in the russian subway tunnels. It does include monsters evolved through radiation, so it isnt a truly realistic story.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5558786-metro-2033

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I had a feeling it would go down that route Red, shame could have been good.

I watched two old movies recently in the same`ish genera.

This was a great movie especially considering its age.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066769/?ref_=nv_sr_2

This was absolutely harrowing especially if you have children. Stark look at a TEOWAKI event rather than a fluffy we all head to the woods living happily ever after. Kevin Costner in there as well as loads of other names.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086429/?ref_=nv_sr_2

joejoe

On a new journey
Jan 18, 2007
washington
not a film alas. but has anybody read the deathland series of books, or even more off topic casca the immortal

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Another vote for the kraken wakes...
Ive recently reread "the machine stops" short story, pdf is around on the net, and theres the old bbc b&w film on youtube somewhere...

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If you like that type of film genre, I'd highly recommend you see Stake Land. Its not your usual vampirey, teenager affair - its actually a very good post-apocolypse horror/adventure film.

Thanks - I'll give that a go - always on the lookout for something quality to watch in the dark evenings :)

bb07 said:
I actually got a genuine laugh from reading it
:cool: - that was rather what I hoped (and to save anyone wasting money on a ticket to see it).

There are still some great movies being made thankfully. I think being a film & tv critic would probably be about the best job in the world! To be paid to be entertained....I suppose it would be a close run thing between that and being an Islay single malt sampler :approve:

I would certainly commend "The perks of being a wallflower" to anyone. A more depressing sounding subject matter is hard to imagine - mental illness, suicide, confused teen sexuality, loneliness and isolation (many of the themes that "How I Live Now" should have tackled and didn't). "The perks" film though is gentle, funny and tender - a real "restores your faith in humanity" film. Emma Watson (Hermione in Harry Potter) is tremendous - but Ezra Miller just steals the show with an ability to deliver lines most members of the RSC should study!

Not one for young children - but a family film for those with teenagers for sure - as much pathos as the funeral in "Four Weddings" (and as funny in places as Hugh Grant waking up late), with the "makes you think" ability of KPAX.

Red

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Oh yes, the Andromeda Strain is an excellent film. Again given it's age it better than most modern films is Silent Running. A true TEOTW movie. Has to be one of my all time favourite films.

[video=youtube;TckJBvl_uT0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TckJBvl_uT0[/video]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE