How heavy is your kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
That's not too bad but why the bivvy and basha/Hammock. I used to carry the kitchen sink with me but after doing half of the West Highland Way with **** loads of kit I was glad when I got called back to work. After that it was a major weight loss programme for my kit. Sadly the same cannot be said for me.:cool:

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I have recently been experimenting with using assault vests to carry the heavy/hard kit (cooking equipment, optics, tools, food etc etc) and a smaller 45L ruck for sleeping kit (sleeping bag, bivvy tent or tarp/hammock, Issue thermarest) and this has weighed about 18lbs give or take for the last trip. Dartmoor long weekenders are about 25lb from memory (although I have the nagging suspicion my weights were in kilos as I only work metric.. )

Using the vests, I can balance my load easier between front and rear and not have to walk like a hunchback which does my back/neck in. This way I can walk bolt upright and see more too. Also, the ruck straps don't dig in... I had an olive green vest made up in Australia with Minimi pouches up front so that they can take larger equipment. Works very well...

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g58/spacemonkey_mk1/DSC00198-1.jpg

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I have recently been experimenting with using assault vests to carry the heavy/hard kit (cooking equipment, optics, tools, food etc etc) and a smaller 45L ruck for sleeping kit (sleeping bag, bivvy tent or tarp/hammock, Issue thermarest) and this has weighed about 18lbs give or take for the last trip. Dartmoor long weekenders are about 25lb from memory (although I have the nagging suspicion my weights were in kilos as I only work metric.. )

Using the vests, I can balance my load easier between front and rear and not have to walk like a hunchback which does my back/neck in. This way I can walk bolt upright and see more too. Also, the ruck straps don't dig in... I had an olive green vest made up in Australia with Minimi pouches up front so that they can take larger equipment. Works very well...

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g58/spacemonkey_mk1/DSC00198-1.jpg

I do much the same - I use a very minimalist PLCE webbing rig (just a canteen pouch and a double ammo pouch) for cooking and basic survival kit, with the Sabre45 over the top. I've added loops with fastex buckles to the '45, so it can be attached to the webbing belt to transfer some load. I find it makes for better weight distribution. It also means that you can get at your water bottle whilst walking, you can have a brew without even opening your pack, and those handy survival items (midge net, repellent, etc) come easily to hand, rather than getting lost in the bottom of the pack. The downside is that it probably weighs a bit more than strictly necessary, and there's a lot of different straps to adjust.

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
comandocal ; hey Marine do'nt think your alone in the heavy kit department ,,,anymore my rucksack is just a large kit bag with frame and shoulder straps,loaded with anything i might need for 3-4 days(hammock, snivelgear,steaks,beer) i load this in my Jeep and drive to camp...once i get to were i'm going i break out the daysack and go for my hikes....oh yea i got to have a warm sleep sack everything else is 2nd or 3rd in my prioritys,i hate being cold.....vine g. 11b inf.....

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Since this thread got bumped I will continue. I used to be a kitchen-sink kind of guy, hauling 20-30 kilos in different monster frame packs. But I have done a 180 on that now, and feel that this has forced me to take my skills to a whole new level. First of all, replacing a mountaintent with a basha reduced my load and also gives me a different sleepeing experience. I've replaced trangias and optimus novas with only fire, I used to cook fire before as well, but now I use it exlusively. This might not reduced the load so much since stainless is a lot heavier then aluminium, but no wind screens and no fuel reduces space at least. Replaced axes and different knifes with only a leuku and a single swede saw blade kept in the cooking pot. Used the leuku before as well, but together with a axe and smaller knife for the big chops and delicate work respectively. Came to the conclusion that the big shops are easier to do with a saw (!) and that delicate work kan be done with a big 9" blade with some training (albeit, maybe not with the exact same result). Instead of the 70-120 liter frame packs I use a 60 liter light weight pack (900 grams) which gives the same carrying comfort as any heavier pack I've tried (mostly because the load is lower). I still use woolen clothing, and haven't gone UL in any way but I think that it's a shame I insisted of carrying a lot of stuff for ``comfort'' all those years.

Of course, now time is an issue, instead of taking of the axe sheath and cutting up wood I now have to make a saw frame, or find a good baton for the leuku (which doesn't chop as good), instead of putting up the tent under 5 minutes, I know have to construct a shelter (often I don't even have a basha, just using spruce), instead of a roaring gasoline kitchen I have to look for wood and face the fact that I will smell like a forest fire. But as I said, my skills have evolved a lot. I try to stick to the fire steel, even though I carry a box of matches as a redundant system.

The only weight I have a hard time cutting down on is the sleeping stuff. This summer I've been playing around with a bedroll and a woolen blanket, which is the exact opposite of the UL concept. And during winter it is hard getting away with less than 2 kilos (maybe if there extremely good snow condtions so you could rely on sleeping in snowcaves).

Might add that I'm 1.90 tall and weighing in at 95, and pretty fit, so there is no medical or fitness aspect of my load reduction, just testing myself and my skills.

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
Im both really, I can go on a FULL 120 litre bergen or just belt order webbing, Both are fun but when i go on my own i usually just webbing the survival thing is more fun.When i take my bergen i've been thinking about swapping my sleeping bag for a bed roll also it would make the experience more fun

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE