How funny will this TV show be?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Erm... call me a cynic, but picture the TV Listings:

"Man walks into backwoods, gets a bit peckish but manages to live OK". Aside from nuts like us, who's going to watch that?

Now, turn it round a bit: "Man walks into backwoods, starves, goes somewhat wibbly, talks to insects, dances in pants, gets choppered out".

Now, which one of those two is going to drag the viewers in? I'm not suggesting for a moment that he faked it, but the production company must be delighted at the outcome, that's got to be better then they ever could have hoped for...

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
He had both a pump action shotgun and a 22lr rifle, both Remmingtons from the looks of them.

The shotgun was an excellent choice. As mentioned above, different loads for different situations, but it was mainly an anti-bear weapon. He was surrounded by dense woodland and heading into the Salmon season. When setting up his camp, he tried to find an open area that would let bears know he was there so they could avoid him. But there was very little open ground. One of his main concerns was that a bear would just stumble out oif the trees on top of him - hence his choice of a powerful, close-quarter weapon.

His main hunting weapon was a scoped .22 rimfire rifle, which he used for squirrel, rabbits and porcupine. Again, another excellent choice. He had plenty of ammo for both weapons.

You can see the barrel of his .22 poking out above his rucksack here...

article-0-062DD500000005DC-455_468x386.jpg

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Just seen some of the adverts, he seems a little 'Unhinged'

He became very unhinged. Starvation and solitude pushed him to the brink. It was no "Bear Grylls style" jolly jaunt in the woods. He went though massive emotional swings. He'd be on the verge of cracking, then on top of the world when he caught a fish. At one point, the sight of a plane flying over had him in tears.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
MY GOD! How much camera kit? Massive car batteries and enough peli boxes to put Ray Mears to shame! No wonder he struggles with the kit, even a hardcore Paratrooper or Commando would struggle under that load! Without having seen anything else, I can't help but think his eventual failure was in part because of the amount of kit he had to carry! I think staying by and on water is the only way with all that kit.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
The shotgun was an excellent choice. As mentioned above, different loads for different situations, but it was mainly an anti-bear weapon. He was surrounded by dense woodland and heading into the Salmon season. When setting up his camp, he tried to find an open area that would let bears know he was there so they could avoid him. But there was very little open ground. One of his main concerns was that a bear would just stumble out oif the trees on top of him - hence his choice of a powerful, close-quarter weapon.

I can't help but disagree...

A marlin .444 would, IMO, but a much better choice, with a much better useable range, and against a large animal such as a bear, the difference in useable range would be staggering. If the shotgun was mainly for defence, IMO it was a pretty poor choice. A shotgun is a brilliant weapon for defence up close and personal, but I'd rather keep it as far away as possible! And naturally there's nothing stopping a rifle being used at shorter ranges unless it has a long barrel.

Pete

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The issue with the wilderness he was in is short range meetings and only being able to see for seven feet through the scrub and woods. If he pushes through some brush and there is a bear there that gets aggressive, he could be incredibly close and by the time he reacts the bear could be even closer! Still, I don't suppose it matters as he didn't use it in that capacity (that I am aware of).

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com

A marlin .444 would, IMO, but a much better choice, with a much better useable range, and against a large animal such as a bear, the difference in useable range would be staggering. If the shotgun was mainly for defence, IMO it was a pretty poor choice. A shotgun is a brilliant weapon for defence up close and personal, but I'd rather keep it as far away as possible! And naturally there's nothing stopping a rifle being used at shorter ranges unless it has a long barrel.

Pete

As I said, he was in thick brush and trees with poor range visibility. A shotgun is also pretty good for birds and small game if you use the right loads, which was his main quarry. When you watch the video and you see his situation, with the type of quarry he was after and the environment he was in, he was well advised on his choice of weapons IMO. :)

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco

Pete

My two cents (shillings)...

When I lived in Alaska -- in the heart of bear country -- I assure you that a 10 or 12 gauge shotgun with slugs or sabots was commonly used and viewed as one of the premier bear defensive firearms. Out to about 80 yards it's accurate and extremely lethal.

In a defensive situation -- and that's what the gun was for, not for hunting bear -- you're inevitably going to be taking a close shot. You don't shoot a bear 40 yards away for defense. Close in, almost nothing beats a shotgun for bear defense.

Shotguns, although not legal everywhere, are also used to hunt bear. Sure, a 45/70 or .444 is great if you're hunting bear and especially if you taking long shots. But if you have to get by with a shotgun, you can.

I feel Martyn is exactly right: the combination of a shotgun (with various loads) and a quality .22 is just about the best survival combo you could ask for. You can harvest anything that walks or flies with those two.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I stand corrected then :) Tbh I underestimated just how dense with foliage the place was, I can certainly see in such a situation that a big dump of power at close range would be beneficial; particularly with the pump action.

I have to say though, very shocked that a shotgun is actually recommended for general bear defense - especially out to 80 yards. Got a bit more learning to do I guess :D

I'd still take the .444 though, I've never felt cooler than when firing a lever-action :p

I do, for the record, agree that a shotgun and a .22 would be an excellent choice for general hunting tasks - just the bear killin I didn't get :)

Pete

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I like the look of that scout shotgun/rifle combo issued to aircrew during Vietnam. Ammunition is stowed in the stock and it is totally metal in its' manufacture. It isn't a rhino stopper by any stretch of the imagination but would cut the mustard against small game and birds. If anybody knows the rifle I am talking about, would it be legal in UK?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE