How funny will this TV show be?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Couldn't let that mention by DOGWOOD of Hugh Glass slip by. Some of you may recall seeing a movie entitled "Man in the Wildeness" starring Richard Harris. It was loosely based on Hugh Glass's survival story. Briefly, he was mauled by a bear and left for dead. His companions thought he was dead and took all of his belongings including his gun.

He set his own leg and CRAWLED for weeks because he could not walk on his broken leg. He eventually reached an army fort and made a full recovery.

There are several books about him, I think the one that I read was called Lord Grizzley. One of the best survival stories I ever read. He was driven mostly by a desire for revenge against the men who went off and left him. A great read.

Glass, like most mountain men did not survive his occupation. He was killed by the Arikara on the Yellowstone about a decade after surviving this horror.

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
i watched this program last night on 4 on demand and i am flabbergasted.
hats off to the guy for attempting something as monumental as this but he must have had doubts in his mind that it was a silly thing to do alone.
all i kept thinking of was the film "Into The Wild" starring Emile Hirsch about that guy Christopher McCandless who graduated from university and gave away his life savings to pursue his dream of living alone in the wilderness of Alaska.
He ended up poisoning himself by eating a plant he mis-indentified and was found dead two weeks later in an abandoned hippy school bus by some moose hunters.
it was lucky this guy ed wardle had emergency comms just in case he got into difficulty.

CheeseMonster

Forager
Dec 11, 2006
Shropshire
it was lucky this guy ed wardle had emergency comms just in case he got into difficulty.

Whilst I agree with your other comments I don't agree with this one. If you find the website and look through the safety precautions they set in place (2 contact systems, GPS position updates automatically every 10 minutes - think that time period is correct) and a pilot available 24/7 a relatively short distance away, I think they did as much to cover him without ruining the experience for him.

Obviously if something happened wherein immediate repsonse was required then yes, he would be stuffed but it is the wild after all.

Niave : yes. Boyhood dream and not enough knowledge : Yes. But that's why it's so compelling, because most people on here would be in exactly the same boat and means we can relate. I wouldn't class him as "bad" as Christopher McCandless as he took better equipment, actually had let people know where he was going and had sufficient emergency contact methods and had a get out plan. Which worked when you overall contrast the outcomes of the two people.

edit: Just realised I've probably misread your comment, obviously you didn't think he "luckily" found some emergency comms in his bag .
"Oh, where did they come from? That was lucky!"
Apologies :p

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
edit: Just realised I've probably misread your comment, obviously you didn't think he "luckily" found some emergency comms in his bag .
"Oh, where did they come from? That was lucky!"
Apologies :p

now that would be a tv show to watch! someone gives you a random bag of crap and you get set loose in the wilderness for a few days to fend for yourself.
i would stitch up the survivor by giving them a bag of assorted undies and toys from ann summers.
just before you leave them you whisper to them that you have left them a 'rabbit' so that they wont have such a hard time lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE