How do you sleep well in a tent?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gweedo

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
Wales
Get a cheap fleece blanket (sometimes they sell the in Aldi or suchlike) With it, make a cover for your thermorest. That way your bag won't slide off the mat at night, it won't slip off the groundsheet, and if it's really warm, you can sleep directly on the mat, using your bag as a duvet.

Use a pillow - I've got one of those foam filled jobbies. Use the off cuts from the blanket to make a cover for that as well. I avoid using rolled up jumpers and suchlike as I find that they are either too hard, not the right height etc etc.

Get a pee bottle and use that at night rather than getting boots on and venturing forth.

Do not drink the contents of the pee bottle.

And I've saved the best for last. Before putting down your camping mat, make a shallow 'trench' along a line where your hips will rest so that your back remains straight when you're lying on your side. Believe me, it works wonders. Variations include trenches for knees and shoulders......

I picked up that last tip from Spike Milligan.

I used to be able to sleep fine in a tent but after sleeping in it last night in my garden, that's changed. Now I'm not sure if it just the ground in my garden is just hard or I'm getting old, but it was just an uncomfortable experience. Is there any way to be more comfortable? How do you lay etc? I've been using a self inflating roll mat under me which I inflated a little more before using it.

I need some tips before I injure myself next month!

Drink rather a lot. Then take something to pee in.

BigMack

Mar 3, 2012
Scotland
I've just accepted that I shall never be as comfortable in a tent as I am in a bed & so enjoy the experience of 'roughing it' :camping:
You could always try slipping some leaf litter or other vegetation under the ground sheet so your boney bits after pressing into your sleeping mat have something soft to dig into :D

I agree, this does help a bit with comfort and also about going to sleep when you are tired. I tend to rise very early when camping so by about 10pm I'm ready to drop anyway!! Unless I am fishing, I avoid alcohol as it makes me feel very cold and of course has the added annoyance of having to go pee in the middle of the night. During fishing, the sleep times are regulated by whats on the hook so I tend to have a wee nip whenever the fancy takes me!!

Cold is the thing that made me feel most uncomfortable when I started camping but a good insulated roll mat sorted that and I think the leaves add to this - maybe trapping air? Not sure but I do seem to be a bit more warm and comfy.

workingdog

Tenderfoot
Apr 9, 2012
northwest uk
i sometimes do the tent bit (instead of the hammock) when im out night shooting so i can sleep with the rifle,its a bit dangerous in the hammock as you might imagine,the grass or ferns etc under the tent in the right places does it for me,combined with the three quarter therarest mat,not to hard!!!!!

Edventure

Aug 6, 2011
Herriard, Hants
Oddly I'm usually more comfortable outdoors than in.

If on the floor a decent airmat like the Exped downmats.

Otherwise a hammock with a good underblanket.

Get rid of the lower walls of your tent and call it a tarp.

No more sweaty, humid, trapped air. What's uncomfortable about that?

+1 for the Exped downmat. They are expensive but are comfortable and warm.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
lie on your side, pillow between your knees, i saw that tip on this website sometime and i even do it in bed, it has improved my level of comfort so much i can't tell you.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
lie on your side, pillow between your knees, i saw that tip on this website sometime and i even do it in bed, it has improved my level of comfort so much i can't tell you.

Seconded.
I had a motorcycle accident 5 years back breaking every bone in the right side of my body. When receovering (and every night since) I sleep with a long side-sleepers pillow which I cuddle into and the end of it seperates my knees.
For the tent, I use a drybag which traps the air and does the same job.

I recently purchased a very comfy Aerobed Pakmat (no affiliation etc), which is superb. Down side is the weight, so I'm now purchasing Exped Synmat to leighten my load.
I did a brief Youtube vid on the Aerobed here.

I do find that the first night I have a rubbish nights sleep but from then on it's easier. I'll go to whatever lengths I need to to ensure I can still get out!

Good Luck!

iHydro

Apr 11, 2012
Digby, Lincolnshire
Seconded.
I had a motorcycle accident 5 years back breaking every bone in the right side of my body. When receovering (and every night since) I sleep with a long side-sleepers pillow which I cuddle into and the end of it seperates my knees.
For the tent, I use a drybag which traps the air and does the same job.

I recently purchased a very comfy Aerobed Pakmat (no affiliation etc), which is superb. Down side is the weight, so I'm now purchasing Exped Synmat to leighten my load.
I did a brief Youtube vid on the Aerobed here.

I do find that the first night I have a rubbish nights sleep but from then on it's easier. I'll go to whatever lengths I need to to ensure I can still get out!

Good Luck!

Just watched your video, that airbed is just absolute genius! Looks comfy too

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
For me, main problem is confines of sleeping bag. I sprawl in bed and find it hard to do in a bag!

Best answer is to be knackered when you go to bed - I slept like a log at Lowe Alpine Mountain Marathon (LAMM) on short/thin closed-cell mat and in Tesco's down bag at 6 degrees C!

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire

Beansprout

Tenderfoot
It always takes me a few nights to get used to a tent's sleep... Even then I never really get used to it. I think it's because, like the OP, I've always over-inflated my thermarest. I was suprised when the Bloke said "you only need it half way you know... " I tried it and it was so much more comfier (more comfier.. more comfy..). Plus I'm a cold sleeper so I'm a lost cause really :D Good thing hammocks are super comfy ^^

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Being tired, not drinking too much (if any...) tea or coffee before bed, being warm and dry - I find all these help make for a good night's kip. The main difficulty is the idea of being "IN a tent". Many have pointed to the massive advantages of sleeping under a tarp - I can only agree; I would also add that I am 100% guaranteed a great night's sleep when in my hammock beneath the tarp. Alternatively, a closed cell foam mat with a partially inflated air mat thing make for blissful slumber...

crucible

Tenderfoot
May 14, 2011
vancouver bc canada
Or, you could take a page from the Italian Duke of Abruzzi- he had porters take along a full size bed with him when he tried to climb K2 in Pakistan at the turn of the last century...

Geo

Tex

Nov 3, 2004
Pymble, Sydney, Australia
i think that sleeping in a tent in a garden would be equall to being asked to sleep on the floor of your lounge on the same mat system, thermarest, closed cell, ridgerest etc. Its not gona be enjoyable. Picture this. Carrying the tent in the rain along with food and water for between 9-15 miles. Pitch it at the end of the day get your food into you slip into dry clothes slide down into your sleeping bag with a hot chochey listen to the rain on the fly and i bet you a dollar you will strugle to keep your eyes open and have one of the best memorable sleeps ever what ever ground mat you use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE