How do you sleep well in a tent?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

iHydro

Apr 11, 2012
Digby, Lincolnshire
I used to be able to sleep fine in a tent but after sleeping in it last night in my garden, that's changed. Now I'm not sure if it just the ground in my garden is just hard or I'm getting old, but it was just an uncomfortable experience. Is there any way to be more comfortable? How do you lay etc? I've been using a self inflating roll mat under me which I inflated a little more before using it.

I need some tips before I injure myself next month!

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Decent sleeping mat - possibly combination of two (closed-cell and inflatable). Try the extra thick ones at Alpkit - I think as many of us grow older, our tolerance for cold and discomfort reduces so kit often needs to be warmer and more comfortable. Were you cold at all?

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I find if I over in-flate my roll mat then this can lead to a poor night sleep. I try to keep mine quite soft ,but not so soft that I touch the ground when laid flat on it

iHydro

Apr 11, 2012
Digby, Lincolnshire
I was nice and warm (sleeping bag made sure of that) the roll mat was inflated as much as I could get it (I nearly got backdraft inflated from it when blowing it up!). Woke up early this morning to a nice bit of frost but I was most definitely toasty warm. Just an ache in my knee and sides felt like they had been battered.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Not sure what sort of trip your planning but if I go camping with swmbo I get forced to use a tent instead of my hammock.
She has a similar problem with the hard floor and we usually take along a duvet which we pop on top of the roll mats which works quite well.
Not something I would take on any of my bushy style trips and realise its not always practical but if your parking close to your pitch it may be an option!

Cheers, Hamster

iHydro

Apr 11, 2012
Digby, Lincolnshire
Cheers for the suggestion guys, I might try for the least expensive (cost free) alternative first. Next time I'll not inflate my mat as much, see how I fare with that. My trip out will most likely be just north of the border next month for 2 days/one night. Possibly second weekend in June as I'm on a course at the end of this month/start of next.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Give a pillow and a rolled up jacket, top or what ever under your knees, as long as your able to shlep on your back it should help with the achy knees and keep you from rolling on your side which can see your hips,knees,elbows and shoulders putting enough small area pressure to end up touching the ground and you end up laying in an awkward position(OOooer missus!)

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
I was nice and warm (sleeping bag made sure of that) the roll mat was inflated as much as I could get it (I nearly got backdraft inflated from it when blowing it up!). Woke up early this morning to a nice bit of frost but I was most definitely toasty warm. Just an ache in my knee and sides felt like they had been battered.

that'll be the problem then! let half the air out of the mat so that it has enough slack to conform to your hips and shoulders, you'll be so much more comfortable. if you sit up on the mat and your rump just touches the ground underneath, that should be about right. this concept may seem counter intuitive, but it definately works.

cheers, and.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I've just accepted that I shall never be as comfortable in a tent as I am in a bed & so enjoy the experience of 'roughing it' :camping:
You could always try slipping some leaf litter or other vegetation under the ground sheet so your boney bits after pressing into your sleeping mat have something soft to dig into :D

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Quite often I'm actually more comfortable when I'm camping than I am in bed. When camping, about the best for me is to lie on two or three thick folded wool blankets. They have some spring, they breathe, they're warm and they don''t give me the same allergy problems that down would give. Unfortunately that much wool is very bulky and quite heavy, so I usually opt for a 3/4 length self-inflating Thermarest.

There are a few foldable camp beds around, various styles for between a tenner and the sky's the limit, I quite like those but they don't give much insulation so you might still need a mat which kind of defeats the object for me.

At the end of the day it might just be a matter of getting used to it. My wife swore that she'd never be able to sleep on our new memory foam mattress. For three days. Now she loves it, and after a couple of years I'm the one who doesn't like it much. I think it's because when I sleep on it I don't move around so much, and I wake up very stiff. My back, I mean.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Oddly I'm usually more comfortable outdoors than in.

If on the floor a decent airmat like the Exped downmats.

Otherwise a hammock with a good underblanket.

Get rid of the lower walls of your tent and call it a tarp.

No more sweaty, humid, trapped air. What's uncomfortable about that?

Jackdaw

It usually takes me a couple of days to settle in to tent living, but once I do I always get a good nights kip.

I live in a village where there is very little external noise so when I'm outside I have to switch off from the normal background noise put out by nature. Even when I have, I normally wake up with the dawn chorus but then settle back down for a bit more sleep until something else wakes me up.

Being very tired is also useful before you go to sleep.

Jack

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I hardly ever sleep well on the ground, I can only remember a couple of good nights. My Exped downmat 9 and pacific airmat come close to tolerable though. The most comfy is my el cheapo airmat from tesco's and I get a reasonable kip on that in the back of the van.

The best night I've ever had was on a thin CCF mat in a perfect body shaped depression, in thick grass under a poncho.

My pacific airmat is comfier with less air in and a CCF mat under it to maintain insulation where my hips squash the airmat flat to the ground.

For the reasons above, my hammock gets taken out very time in preference to bum crawling over rocks and tree roots in a sweaty damp fabric box. :)

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
I have a Tenth Wonder Hammock, Sargasso Tarp & an enlarged by Snugpack Cocoon sleeping bag by Ian Dent Willoughby in which my 21st sleeps soundly well apart from loud snoring...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE