How do you pack away your tarp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

P@ul

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Sussex
I have just added 3m x 3m cotton Tatonka tarp to my itinerary. I am pleased with this tarp but find that I now need to modify how I hang this tarp as it seems more suitable to hang it over the ridge line where in the past I have always hung my tarps believing it would prevent water dripping from the ridge line.

So my question is for those of you who hang your tarps over the ridgeline, how do you pack your tarp away? :confused:

I seem to remember Ray Mears folding his tarp along the ridgeline and then folding from the bottom up and finally securing by winding the ridgeline around the tarp.

I have tried the above method and it seems a bit of a handful with the larger tarp but maybe I just need more practice.

P@ul

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
P@ul said:
I have tried the above method and it seems a bit of a handful with the larger tarp but maybe I just need more practice.

P@ul
I can never roll my tarp up as efficiently as RM either...guess that says it all.. :lmao: I would say we need to practice and persevere with it. There was a thread here somewhere earlier this week about hanging tarps over ridgelines and the problems of water seepage and dripping....it may be worth finding it and reading it, and sticking with use of the tarp loops... :)

soup_monger

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 30, 2005
EDINBURGH AND PERTH
If my Tatonka tarp is set up like this....

IMG_1001.jpg

Then I just undo one end and fold it as I walk towards the end still tied to the tree.
Then I roll it up and strap it to outside of my pack.

Carrying the spare wheel about is a drag though. :D

Cheers

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
P@ul said:
I seem to remember Ray Mears folding his tarp along the ridgeline and then folding from the bottom up and finally securing by winding the ridgeline around the tarp.

P@ul

I do exactly this but roll it from the top down. There lots of spare line, but this helps compress the tarp if you do it carefully and wrap it around the tarp.

Pablo

P@ul

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Sussex
Thanks for the replys, I have been out again today trying different ideas and taking a few photos.

Falcon: I do remember reading the thread about setting up the tarp and would prefer to use the loops but the Tatonka doesn't have a cental loop only some velcro. I suppose I could sew one on!

Soup-monger: Nice photo, will give this ago next time I'm out.

Pablo: I like that idea, less likely to trap the air as you roll it up.

Thanks again, P@ul

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Err...I think it does have something in the centre (though I'll go and double check mine later...I'm sure I used it when I was in Scotland a while back) it's a slot formed when the double sewn patch is lifted and cord can be pushed through.

I've also seen someone else use a tatonka with karrabiners....in that way they were able to swivel the complete tarp around (while temporarily suspended from the central point only) if they wished to switch from rectangular shape to diamond shape. I guess not all tatonka models might be the same...but check it out :)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I use whatever method takes my fancy at the time.
Both Pitching and Striking, I'm not overly worried about whether the tarp goes above or below the ridgeline - Above you might get one or two drips but you have to deal with a sodden ridgeline the next day, below and you loose the flexibility of turning it around if the need takes you. I also figure that if your trying to put up a tarp in the wet, then you've probably been walking in the rain for a while and the extra few minutes it takes to get a cover up will have little bearing on how wet your gear ends up.
Stiking the thing the next day is the same; rolled fat or thin, or folded any which way, if it's right for what you have in mind then it's OK. Shambling Shamans advice about avoiding weak spots is right on the nail.
If we all had equipment manufacturers queueing up to offer us kit to use then we could afford to fold it or roll it the same way every time - as it is I have to make my gear last a long time as I simply can't afford to replace it on a whim.

That why I have those words in my signiture :cool:

ATB

Ogri the trog

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
same as everything else including goretex jacket tent etc.

stuff it in a stuff sack!
it's easier and it reduces weakening by folding!

P@ul

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Sussex
falcon said:
Err...I think it does have something in the centre (though I'll go and double check mine later...I'm sure I used it when I was in Scotland a while back) it's a slot formed when the double sewn patch is lifted and cord can be pushed through.

Your not wrong falcon, checked mine out today.

They don't look much for the weight they support but they seem to be up to the job!

P@ul

P@ul

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Sussex
Blimey, thats a big photo, I'll see if I can fix it. P@ul

That be better, perhaps a little to small but I'm going to quit while I'm winning. :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE