How do you number 2?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harley

Forager
Mar 15, 2010
London
Ok say for example you’re a frequent wiper and use lots of bog roll is it the same process of burn after wiping or would a few wet wipes then paper be a better tactical assault if so surely wet wipes then wont burn?

Also if your squatting over a log when you dump you tend to pee at the same time and I would have thought you would end up pissing on your cloths or boots???

A light application of petroleum jelly prior to the act and you'll need surprisingly little loo roll.

If soiling your footwear or clothing concerns you at all, simply remove them before the stage above!

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Dig, squat and burn in situ.
If there is high fire risk, then I'll either carry the paper to a communal fire (rather than starting a new one), or bag it and carry it out.
Bagging is not a nice option, but if you bury it, animals often dig it up and before you know it you have a ticker-tape parade happening !

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
As has been said, dig-do-bury, but with regards to how far away from water source, up until a few months ago i was very of the mindset of 100 yards away from watersource. That was until i was staying on the side of the dee and we came accross a sewage plant 20 yards from the edge that was pouring its waste straight into the Dee....

BushrangerCZ

Nomad
Dec 23, 2010
in the woods
russian toilet - one stick (thrust it to the ground, hold on and take a dump)
russian toilet "de luxe" - two sticks (thrust first one to the ground, hold on, take a dump. Second stick is for beating the wolfes)
:)

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
First stay well away from camp, you water supply and paths.
I usually find a largish rock, roll it over, squat, do the deed and then roll the rock back.
Quick, simple, no mess on cloths and no need for support.
Arab or squat toilets are easy to use and I read somewhere that they are better for you than sit toilets, something to do with angles and less straining.
They are not all that alien here in Europe, the last one I saw was in a bar near the Louvre not that many years ago.
Happy trails...torc.

bbdave

Forager
Feb 19, 2007
Teignmouth,Devon
Can i just ask why do you burn the paper surely it biodegrades i have always burnt it but never really understood why.
At work i spend quite alot of time down drains the paper doesn't hang around much unlike the other stuff.

Dave

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Can i just ask why do you burn the paper surely it biodegrades i have always burnt it but never really understood why.
At work i spend quite alot of time down drains the paper doesn't hang around much unlike the other stuff.

Dave

I can't think of a good reason to burn it other than it takes up lots of room in the dump hole and is pretty conspicuous in white if it gets dug up by animals.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I read with horror the abundant use of tissue paper! Why use such stuff? Such a useless way to clean up too.
Left hand method is best and 1/8th of a litre of water is the most one needs to use by this method. Right hand for eating. With practice you can get your water use to less but cleaning the hand is still important. Try and you will be pleasantly surprised. It is in the mindset!
Swyn.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
I heard from some where that burning the paper chars the deposit which speeds up the breakdown process. Don't know if it is true though.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Hey Shewie. Funny thing though, you don't! Its a poo and go situation! One less thing to carry too. The use of tissue paper is a very Western culture thing and as I said, a mindset. Once you have passed through the poo on hand block you will be surprised!
There is another train of thought here too is not to poo in a hole.....Leave it for the wildlife (foxes) or if you are with your dog offer the pile to him/her, they often like a snack. This then re-enforces the non use of horrible tissue!
No I'm not advocating this habit at the Moot or in company but just as an alternative thought process. Millions of the worlds inhabitants do not reach for *ndrex softie tissue when they 'go', it's just a relic from the Victorian age and now so psycologically ingrained in people that the habit is hard to see around!
Swyn

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE