How do you fit an underblanket??

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Ive just received my underblankets today (cheers Nick at DD and Lurch at Lakeland) but cant figure out how you fit them (tie them). They have an elastic line that runs along each side that obviously facilitates tightening, but then there are two shorter elastic lines at each end that emanate from a few inches either side of center. These two lines are not long enough to attach to a tree. Also there are two loops at both ends.

Somebody please give me a clue (I cant get out to test it because I'm sick and I'm trying to get better before this weekends "Middlewood" meet).

Cheers
Stu.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
I suppose I should give my hammock specs!!! Ive got a DD Travel hammock that I have modified with carabiners as drip rings. Thats about it realy.

I hope somebody can help me so im not faffing about for hours at the meet and loosing my rag (I can sometimes be a little impatient).

Cheers guys/gals
Stu

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`ve just tied the shock cords to the karabiners with quick release knots as Red did in the "take to the trees" thread. Easy peasy and saves messing about with other bits and pieces.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Which shock cords Rich?? All 4 of them (including the tightening ones)??

Yeah basically Stu

Last night was the first time for me and it worked a treat after reading the thread.

I gathered the two central ones together and tied them to one side of the hammock cord on the krab, then I passed the two outer ones through the webbing loops, gathered them together and then tied them to the krab also. Do this at both ends then once you get them tied on it pulls it into shape a bit more.
Jump in then tighten up the outers with the toggles in the middle.

I`ll put some piccies up of this method later if you`re still struggling Stu

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Yeah basically Stu

Last night was the first time for me and it worked a treat after reading the thread.

I gathered the two central ones together and tied them to one side of the hammock cord on the krab, then I passed the two outer ones through the webbing loops, gathered them together and then tied them to the krab also. Do this at both ends then once you get them tied on it pulls it into shape a bit more.
Jump in then tighten up the outers with the toggles in the middle.

I`ll put some piccies up of this method later if you`re still struggling Stu

Please please give us some piccys Rich. That would be fantastic!!

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
This link seems pretty clear, does it help? May be a bit obsolete depending on underblanket models but should be pretty close. I was shown this way, didn't have the toggley things though.

Cheers,

Alan

Mr Adoby

Forager
Sep 6, 2008
The woods, Småland, Sweden
I have some pics in my thread about when I tested my DD Hammock/Underquilt by the lake.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34761

08101806bedtime.jpg

08101807morning.jpg

I tie the two middle/lower cords very short around the rope for the hammock. And the two outer/upper cords around the ridgeline for the tarp (near the trees).

A.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
This link seems pretty clear, does it help? May be a bit obsolete depending on underblanket models but should be pretty close. I was shown this way, didn't have the toggley things though.

Cheers,

Alan

That got to be the wierdest hammock set up ever. It looks like the hammock is hung from a ridge line using prussicks. The use of the loops on the underblanket is a good idea but apart from that, its a little TO far from my setup.

Cheers Chainsaw.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Don't forget that The man, Wanderinstar, will be at Middlewood - I'm sure he'll run a master class on how to fit them ... especially if you bribe him with booze!

Sorry Ian, I think you just got volunteered!:lmao: :lmao:

Simon

Edit:

Top tip from Ian - Take some mini krabs with you, I think he said you need 6.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
That got to be the wierdest hammock set up ever. It looks like the hammock is hung from a ridge line using prussicks. The use of the loops on the underblanket is a good idea but apart from that, its a little TO far from my setup.

Cheers Chainsaw.

It's not a DD hammock which is why it's set up differently but the underblanket set up is still valid, it's almost exactly the way I set mine up with my DD. 2 bungees to the Krab and 2 up to the ridgeline (or even over towards each other to cinch in the top ends of the underblanket) The loops are optional, MK uses them.

Cheers,

Alan

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
Hi Stu

What I have done to hang my underblanket is the following (Ian Dent Willoughby showed me this way and he designed them).

The two outer cords that run the full length of the blanket go up and over the tarp ridge line and I have attached them to the other side of the blanket (ie where the opposite cord comes from) with small karabiners.

So at the head end, the R/H cord comes from its exit point on the blanket up over the ridge line and down to the L/H side of the blanket where the L/H cord exits the blanket from and attaches with a small karabiner, the L/H cord does the mirror image of this.

Repeat this at the foot end.

The two shorter inner cords at the head end, I have joined to each other using prussic (sliding) knots, these both then clip into the karabiner that holds the hammock to the tree and is tensioned by sliding the prussic knots further down the opposite cord.

Repeat this at the foot end

I hope this makes sense for you, but if not I will be at Middlewood as will many others who will gladly help you set up.

Doing it this way takes care of the problem of the trees being too far apart or putting too much stress on the shock cords. F it gets too tight the slip knots slip slightly to give a little slack.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
This is how I`ve tried it so far Stu, hopefully if I can make it over Saturday I`ll try and catch up with Ian anyway to see how he suggests.

I tried this method last night and it does the trick no problem. If you tie the cords under light tension then there`s plenty of give for adjustments later.

Basically I gather the inner cords together and tie them to the krab, then I do the same with the outers. Maybe it`s a little crude but it keeps it nice and simple for now.

So just pull the inner cords up to the krab and tie them off with a quick release knot.

DSC00732.jpg

Hopefully here you can see the inner cords under the hammock cord, then above those are the outers.

DSC00733.jpg

End result

DSC00735.jpg

I`m sure there loads of ways and we can learn some more on Saturday

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Cheers Rich. If it works, it works!! which ever way I end up doing it, Im sure It will be well tested with the freezing weather coming.

Looking forward to meeting you mate.
Stu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE