How do you fit a Wood Burner?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I got Dad one some months back. He hasnt fitted it yet.

Im waiting for him to get cold/skint/both before I sell it on. (I showed it to you, didnt I?)

Hes making excuses.

I want to help Dad but its obvious he needs to do things on his own initiative.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
'Theoretically' you get a professional in to fit it who will ensure it's fitted within current regulations - distance from inflammable material, appropriate airflow, carbon monoxide monitoring, flue length/draw/material .....

Otherwise:

I have fitted two recently; the one in the house I had done professionally (the fireplace needed rebuilding, a new flue liner installed etc.) the other, in my shepherd's hut, I installed myself - there is no way you can install one in a hut within current regulations :(

Last edited:
Reactions: swyn

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
In a house that isn’t mortgaged and standing on its own away from the net curtain twich-itch JFDI would be my way.
1859 house with a chimney that hadn’t seen a fire for more than 40 years:
Block-up the opening with bricks leaving a hole for the out-the-back flue. With a 200mm ss flue spigot, wobble/ease the WB towards the hole and said spigot so it fits in the hole. Using a 3:1 mix of sand & lime or fire cement fill around the hole. Let this dry.
Try to burn only dry firewood is an important consideration!
Light the fire.
Job done.
Enjoy!
S

Reactions: Tsantsa and TeeDee

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thanks a bunch guys.

I dont think he wants anyone in his untidy front room.

I think he has a hoarding problem.

I do too.

Im going to see my GP about it when I get back to the 21st century.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I Installed my own at home. It’s perfectly fine to do provided building regulations are followed, and manufacturers recommendations which actually trump building regs (and HETAS regs I might add). You should get it signed off by the local building regs inspector, photos are usually enough evidence for them too.

I will add that putting the liner in is a tough task though! Only done from the top down, and I wouldn’t recommend it as an activity for your wedding anniversary either! :lmao:

• Haha
Reactions: swyn and TeeDee

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I will add that this chimney has now been demolished.
Replaced with a false one so I now have room for my kitchen.
Yes, liner top down is an interesting exercise, if you can make a wooden bullet the same size as the intended liner fit down first then you will get on ok. Fit said bullet to the nose of the liner and have a long enough piece of rope to pull from both directions. Ie, one length inside the liner to assist a up-pull and the main force being directed downwards from the fireplace opening.
S

Reactions: Stew and FerlasDave

pieinthesky

Forager
Jun 29, 2014
Northants
I looked into doing this in quite some detail a few years ago - then we moved to a house that already had one :) - result

I remember having a good look at a couple of friends set ups, they had both done it themselves and had both omitted what seemed to me to be a fairly important safety feature. They both fitted a flat plate (with a hole for the flue) into their existing fireplace/chimney and then simply stuck the flue through the hole.

The top of this plate needs to be bevelled with cement so that soot/tar/birds etc dropping back down the chimney are funnelled into the burner rather than piling up on top of the plate where they can pose a serious fire risk.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE