How do you cook your trout?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
First visit, first catch. Nice 15" trout.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0727.jpg
    IMG_0727.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 241

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Nice catch Dave.. where's it from.

I like em filleted.. pan fried in butter & oil :)

Trout fish cakes with dill are nice :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thanks, Its from the River Wharfe, addingham. I was only there an hour, i was trying the czech nymphing method, mate talked me into it. I caught one, but then I saw a couple of rises, on the far side so switched to a small olive. [i prefer dry fly anyway]. Long casts, as I only had my thigh waders on, but got him in the end. :) He put up quite a fight on a 3wt 10 foot rod. Im marinating it in liquid smoke. Am seriously thinking of building a cold smoker, with flues and elbows coming out of my firebin, into an oak barrel or an empty fridge from the tip.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Stuffed with some herbs and lemon , foil pouch and roasted .........

I hope you lead me to one of those Dave ...........

No problem Bob, you can take two with you, so bring an ice box. :) They are stocking next week. So end of april maybe, or first week in june, on a weekday, if that suits you?

We'll have a good day anyway.

Last edited:

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Thanks, Its from the River Wharfe, addingham. I was only there an hour, i was trying the czech nymphing method, mate talked me into it. I caught one, but then I saw a couple of rises, on the far side so switched to a small olive. [i prefer dry fly anyway]. Long casts, as I only had my thigh waders on, but got him in the end. :) He put up quite a fight on a 3wt 10 foot rod. Im marinating it in liquid smoke. Am seriously thinking of building a cold smoker, with flues and elbows coming out of my firebin, into an oak barrel or an empty fridge from the tip.

I'll have to try a bit of fly fishing.. I like throwing spinners about on my Greys G-Lite spinning rod :)

Aye Dave.. that'll be lovely smoked.. good catch mate :)

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Last time i went fishing i cooked what we caught in a foil pouch, with a bit of butter, lemon juice & garlic paste. Mixed herbs on top. Left to bake in the embers of the fire. Perfect. Made baked sweet potatoes to go with it. Mmmm

Tonyuk

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Pan fried, at 15" I'd top and tail it. Hot pan, couple of minutes a side in oil with a small knob of butter, and then the lid on and taken off the heat and rested for 10mins (with the lid on). Herbs? a spring of mint in the pan in along with it if you must.

Much bigger and I'd be looking halving it. Bigger still I'd be steaking it.

I'm not keen on filleting trout as I believe they're easier to deal with cooked whole or as steaks.

Tomteifi

Nomad
Jan 22, 2016
Carmarthenshire, South Wales
Madness :).. but if it works.. ya can't knock it.

That's what i'd call top drawer cooking there boy!!

ps As for cooking my sewin (preferred to BT) always steamed(meat is so tender and sweet) with spring onions (whole) ginger (minced) chili(flakes or chopped fresh) put them together(you need a huge wooden steamer) cannot be beaten for taste and flavour imho.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE