how do you connect sidepockets to a sabre 45 properly ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
well how do you ? I know there are zippers, where i can zip those side pockets on it, but what to do with the compresion straps on the pack ? They are standing in the way, the lower strab is to short to go around the sidepockets, i just push it down, so it is under the side pockets. The upper strap can just go around the sidepockets, but compresses the entrance, so you can barly put things in you sidepocket. I push this strab above the sidepocket. But this just doesn't look right to me...

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
there should be attachments to thread the straps through or a male female connector to give the pouches extra hold , or thats how it used to be anyhow :-? have you got the right length straps to wrap it round the front ?

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
well i got a thing where i can thread webbing through it, right hight too, but the end of the strabs on mine pack are sewn double to prevent losing the laddertrap so you can't thread it through AND you can NOT use the zipper attachment than. btw. I got the berghaus sidepockets

another question, the foam "backplate", it is put in a pounch like thing in the back, looking like a place to throw your camelbak in, it has a strap laddertrap on it and a strap to keep it close, but the end of the strap is also sewn double, so you can't take the foam thing out, without cutting one strap ! Whats the idea behind this thing ? Why didn't they just sewn it fixed, if you can't take it out anyways ?

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
the store where i bought it says it can. berghaus vulcan side pockets has the same zipper attachment, which works on mine pack. They are almost identical to the PLCE one's. If i remeber correctly PLCE bergens used to be made by Berghaus, so...

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

New Berghaus Vulcan sidepockets will fit the PLCE system the chain zips used on them are the same pitch and orientation.

Older Berghaus sidepockets from the old crusader will not fit as the zips have a different pitch and are a different orientation.

Perhaps the troubles you are having fitting the pockets to the sabre stems from the fact the sabre is designed to take PLCE side pockets and not Berghaus Vulcan pockets?

As an aside I thought the 'issue Bergen' was made by CQC not by Berghaus, it is however a loose copy of the old Crusader.

Cheers

John

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
they used to issue berghaus, then they changed it for the cack cheaper plce

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Hi All,

This is interesting as I was considering replacing my Snugpak Rocket Pack with the Sabre 45.
I own the Sabre 60-100 and much prefer it to the Snugpak, especially for larger loads.
Have a look at http://www.hawkmoor.com/sabre_45.htm
I didn't notice it before but the straps do seam to be just moved out of the way of the side pockets, rather than threaded through the provided loops (like on the Rocket pack).

Edited to add;

Anyone else notice from the Lord of the Rings BBC2 thingy that Ray was using the Sabre 45?

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
hmm... on that picture it looks like they push the upper strap up, out of the way like i do, but i can't see what they have done with the lower strap, looks like they took the strap of the ladderlock, which i discover can, even though the ends are sewn double. I will keep the lower straps on, i think.

some other question than: what are those handle/big loops on the waist straps for ? And i have read that they exsepted hydration bladders, but i haven't seen any special exit for it, did i missed it or didn't they put that in too the disign ?

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

You're really having troubles with this rucksac!!!

1. The gear loops on the waist band are just that gear loops it's an idea borrowed off climbing sacks ideal for hanging karabiners from or quickly stowing an ice tool.

2. The hydration system for sabre rucksacks appears to be specifically designed for sabre rucksacs so all the straps and pockets associated with the hydration system are designed to fit that rather than say a camel back (clever marketing!!)

3. You stated earlier that you are using Berghaus Vulcan sidepockets these differ from the Issue PLCE side pockets. I would venture to suggest Karrimor designed the Sabre to accomodate the Issue PLCE side pocket Not its main competitors side pockets. The 'Berghaus Vulcan' pockets will fit ( the zips are compatible) but may not be totally compatible with the straps ect. it's something I feel you may just have to live with.

Check out www.pri.uk.com its a sort of outlet for Karrimors militray products it explains the hydration system in detail.

Or I might venture to suggest, fill the rucksac with your gear and have a weekend in the woods. That'll make you feel better!

cheers

John

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
i don't really see it as problems, i'm just curious about the features.
I can't open the hydration page of the pri site ( mine internet is to ***** ***** **** slow ! :-x ), but if i remember correctly, the hydration systeems are same as the source line, i have tryed on of the source line hydration packs and i did NOT like them, i sold it ( with profit ! :-D ). I don't feel bad, having this pack ! i like it. i can live with the straps on the sides...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE