How do you carry your alcohol?

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
For your stove not for your belly!

And how much do you take with you when you go out? Just bought my first alcohol stove so I'm wondering how I'll carry it. Ideally I'd like to fit it in my mug with the stove?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Usually in a sig type plastic bottle with a special valve to allow for safe and accurate pouring.

Someone told me about using fruit shoot drink bottles which I'm going to try as they're smaller and lighter.

As for how much to take with you that all depends on how much cooking/brewing you're planning to do. A 250ml fruit shoot bottle ought to be enough for an overnighter, if you're going for a couple days then double up etc.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Glad someone asked this as I wanted to double check that it could be stored in a standard plastic bottle.

You have mentioned putting your stove in your mug. Are you not concerned about mixing fuel with drink/food?

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Ah fruit-shoot bottles.. not had that since I was a wee one, that'd give me an excuse to buy a couple of bottles ;) Might just hunt around the supermarket for appropriate bottles. So ~250ml is about a nights worth?

Chambers, not really occured to me. I figured the stove in a ziplock bag should be fine. I usually give my cook gear a rinse before I use it as my rucksack is a bit grubby ;)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
...So ~250ml is about a nights worth?

As I said it, all depends on how much cooking/brewing you plan to do. It also depends on your stove as different ones take different amounts and burn for varying times.

Easiest way is to do an exact measure into your stove and time it for how long to bring to a boil and then how long one fill lasts. Once you know that you can work out how many fills your bottle will hold :)

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Ziplock bag sounds like a plan to me. So now to go with my Doctor Pepper to make my stove I feel the need for a strawberry fruit shoot

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
I just got the trangia fuel bottles they come in three sizes 300ml ,500ml , 1000 ml they come with a easy pour safety valve .Do the job a treat !!!

Jason

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
As I said it, all depends on how much cooking/brewing you plan to do. It also depends on your stove as different ones take different amounts and burn for varying times.

Easiest way is to do an exact measure into your stove and time it for how long to bring to a boil and then how long one fill lasts. Once you know that you can work out how many fills your bottle will hold :)

Well I bought one of these white box stoves. From the blurbthe normal one takes up to 2fl.oz , I got the large which doubles the capacity, with a burn time 20min. So I'm guessing I'll need 3-4fl.oz per meal plus 1fl.oz per brew. And a fruitshoot or equiviliant bottle is.. dun dun dun. 10 fl.oz. So yeah sound like thats about right for an overnighter eh!

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Hi ,
I only do day trips now so never really bother with bottle size etc , but thinking about it could you use the insert from a wine box ? Dependent of course on how much you put in but it should fold/squish into cooking kit . Apart from the the spout it would only be the size of however much fuel you had with you . Or would it be too delicate ?
Cheers , Trev .

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
For your stove not for your belly!

And how much do you take with you when you go out? Just bought my first alcohol stove so I'm wondering how I'll carry it. Ideally I'd like to fit it in my mug with the stove?

The trangia bottle as mentioned is very good. It has a good lid / pouring spout. Is tough and doesnt crush easily. It's also designed to carry fuel so the plastic and seals last the distance when subjected to meths etc. I've also used a series of Sigg fuel bottles in the past and also a specific Nalgene fuel bottle which was worthy of mention...

As for how much to take.. Meths has a low calorific value compared to other liquid fuels so you'll need proportionally more. I suppose it depends of what you are cooking and how often.

If I'm on an Alpine trip I can easily chop through 1/2 ltr of white gas in a couple of days if melting snow general cooking and making a lot of brews. Equally a canister on a Jet Boil seems to last for ever in the bush in warmer weather.

When I've used a trangia style set up I reckon 1/2 ltr is plenty enough for a weekend of cooking and brews etc in normal temperate weather.

HTH

John

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I use contact lens fluid bottles, they come in different sizes (100, 250, 300 cc) and allow me to tailor the ammount I carry. No problems with leaking as they're pretty much like the standard SE army container. Containers for household cleaning products (e.g. Ajax etc.) are also usefull because they're usually flat(ish) and can be packed easier than the round containers.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
My trangia bottle never leaked, but I changed to a coke bottle to save weight. I know that quite a few people are using IV bags, easier to get if you know someone who works in a hospital.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Fruit Shoot bottle for me... and a full one is more than enough for an overnighter!

You will find the white box stove (although i've never owned one) very efficient with both boil times and run times from what i've read.

al.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE