How do I know where it’s OK to camp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
at the end of the day all land is owned, so if you go onto someone else's land in England or Wales (excepting a few special cases) without permission you are in the wrong.
it doesn't matter if you think the landowner should or shouldn't be doing.
The landowner is in the right and therefore holds the cards.
there's no point in complaining if you decide to break the law.

It's like a house burglar complaining he was cut on the window glass when he broke it!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Regarding the ‘forgotten’ places, I was once tasked with obtaining permission to cut trees heavily encroaching on power lines. It was like banging my head against a brick wall, door knocking, chatting to locals. I eventually got the company I worked for to shell out for a proper land search and it turned out to be church owned. The church owned everything down to 200ft below ground. Any minerals, water, everything. There were reams of paper detailing it all, it took months to get a permission agreed, even they didn’t know they owned it. You could have built your own house on that land and nobody would have been the wiser.

Reactions: Bishop

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yep, mineral and fossil rights are often owned by a completely different person or organisation. The mineral rights for all the land around here, even the NRW forestry, is owned by Powys Estates. When NRW started extracting stone from an old quarry in one of the forests, to use on the tracks, they had to stop because Powys Estates were going to charge them! Even though our land is freehold the mineral and fossil rights belong to PE; don't tell them about the lovely trilobite I found a few years ago :)

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Although slightly off topic, it may be worth pointing out to people reading this that trespassing onto someone's land with an air rifle (although not a firearm) is classified as armed trespass and is treated as a very serious criminal offence.
Is carrying or using a knife or axe regarded as Armed Trespass?

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Is there a website or a book that lists where I can pitch a tent for the night? I’ve heard stories of disgruntled land owners turfing people out for pitching in their fields and woods.

Is there a definitive way to know that you’re allowed to camp somewhere?
I dont know the rules regarding camping at the moment, but If you are looking at getting out in Kent have a look here: https://badgellswoodcamping.co.uk/

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
Thanks everyone. There’s too many replies to quote individually but I’ve read them all and looked at the links. Much appreciated.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
at the end of the day all land is owned, so if you go onto someone else's land in England or Wales (excepting a few special cases) without permission you are in the wrong.
it doesn't matter if you think the landowner should or shouldn't be doing.
The landowner is in the right and therefore holds the cards.
there's no point in complaining if you decide to break the law.

It's like a house burglar complaining he was cut on the window glass when he broke it!

I agree with everything you are saying. Except the word 'right' should be changed with the word 'legal' ;)

Because in reality no one owns anything.

Reactions: Ed the Ted

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Fair enough :)
my was trying to answer from the point of the English/ Welsh legal framework

Your 'no one owns anything' point is definitely a separate thread topic!

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Thinking about this, If you look from the landowners perspective(not so Big national parks and such), who would you allow to use your land and feel comfortable with them doing it? if I had someone turn up at my door with a fairly detailed Plan of what you would like to do, why you want to do it, who would be with you, how many times a week, safety aspects etc, then you could get to discussing it pretty quickly and probably find some common ground.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Fair enough :)
my was trying to answer from the point of the English/ Welsh legal framework

Your 'no one owns anything' point is definitely a separate thread topic!

Haha yes definitely for a different thread!

Your answer was very good btw I wasn't knocking it, it's going to keep all those that read it on the 'legal' side of the law :thumbsup:

fenix

Forager
Jul 8, 2008
Kent
Thinking about this, If you look from the landowners perspective(not so Big national parks and such), who would you allow to use your land and feel comfortable with them doing it? if I had someone turn up at my door with a fairly detailed Plan of what you would like to do, why you want to do it, who would be with you, how many times a week, safety aspects etc, then you could get to discussing it pretty quickly and probably find some common ground.

People forget that farmers and pet controllers are often out and about at night, quiet often with rifles and lamps or NV. People turning up where they are not expected can be extremely disconcerting, especially if you about to pull the trigger on a fox or rabbit.

Reactions: lostplanet

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
People forget that farmers and pet controllers are often out and about at night, quiet often with rifles and lamps or NV. People turning up where they are not expected can be extremely disconcerting, especially if you about to pull the trigger on a fox or rabbit.

I'm sure you mean 'pest' controllers :)

But, on a serious note, one should make oneself aware of the rights of Gamekeepers before trespassing!

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I understand what you're trying to say, but if you're shooting you should be sure of the backstop regardless. In this day and age you may well get people deliberately trying to get in the way as well.

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
As a Land manager I see the unfortunate side of things. Litter mess and hectares of forestry lost due to fires. I know many people do use the forests and do it right. The issue with this as a land manager you do not see this because people have left no trace. As you only ever see the mess that is left as evidence of camping.
This is why there is such a negative vibe to camping.
Again it comes under the age old minority have ruined it for the majority as it’s easier to just hold a blanket ban on camping.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Again it comes under the age old minority have ruined it for the majority as it’s easier to just hold a blanket ban on camping.

I'm not sure I have your faith in mankind; I suspect those of us that care are in the minority. I may be wrong, but after decades of wilderness camping, I have seen some horror stories and even people that I would expect to know better behaving badly.

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
What I should really have said is that the majority don’t leave their homes unless it’s a lockdown then they all come out.
Most people I have come across are fairly sensible but you do get groups of teenagers which are the most common for leaving a mess or a half hacked tree. I have come across the odd shelter and set up that looks like it has been lived in full time then abandoned quickly.
Its the cost and time it takes to clean these areas up people don’t think about.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE