How Close to Civilization

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
With the increase in travel costs and the turn down of economy I’ve had to reduce my outings (usually to north Wales) down to low single digits a year :(
I’ve been on the lookout for somewhere a little more local that I can wonder over too and have quick one nighters to maintain my fix haha. Unfortunately with a population of 200000 people its harder said than done!

So my question is how close to civilization do you dare do an overnighter??

I found one place which is about an 30 minutes walk from any housing estates, pretty isolate, but its only around 150 feet from a dog walkers path.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Sounds similar to a place i use some times. Its only 15 minutes(walk time) from my house, is in a small wood over a railway tunnel, & is about 30ft from a busy dog walkers path. In the spring & summer, the bushes screen it well, so i don't light a big fire, & only have one, after dusk, when "the crowds" die down, i've never had any issues.

Rob

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
150 feet..I wouldn't think you would have a problem, as long as you accept that at sometime you'll get a visit from someones dog off the lead. Even if you don't cook the chances are that you will have a visitor on four legs.. :)

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I sometimes stay within earshot of a village,( on council land I hasten to add ) very near a footpath along a river, it's not very frequented but denounciation leaves a bitter taste for the French.
If your intended site is near a dog walkers route, then prepare to be visisted by the local fuzz 'cause there is something about certain 'dog walkers' that obliges them to report all things out of the ordinary to the police.:(..................gives us honest dog walkers a bad name :D

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I found one place which is about an 30 minutes walk from any housing estates, pretty isolate, but its only around 150 feet from a dog walkers path.

Ask yourself how often is the path used.

If it's occasionally the go for it and don't worry to much, if it's like a dogwalkers motorway then maybe think again or don't have a fire :)

Jessy11

Jan 30, 2012
London
150 feet..I wouldn't think you would have a problem, as long as you accept that at sometime you'll get a visit from someones dog off the lead. Even if you don't cook the chances are that you will have a visitor on four legs.. :)

:You_Rock_
g.php

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire

I stopped using one particular area, after being "mugged" by the same pair of labradors on 3 ocassions. The last time, they arrived a good 5 minutes in front of the handlers, who were out of breath having chased the dogs about a mile. Its amazing how far the smell of cooking bacon can travel.

Rob

bigandy

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
horwich lancashire
Depends what you want to do/be seen. I often overnight down by a canal were one side isn't accessable easily and is blocked off so there's no through route. Hardly ever get a visit but can see people on tow path but can move away if I don't want to be seen. Not far from you over in widnes

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
I stopped using one particular area, after being "mugged" by the same pair of labradors on 3 ocassions. The last time, they arrived a good 5 minutes in front of the handlers, who were out of breath having chased the dogs about a mile. Its amazing how far the smell of cooking bacon can travel.

Rob

150 yards!! My old Lab-Collie cross used to be able to smell grub at about a 1000 yds. He'd be there with his mess tin and racing spoon at the first whiff of bacon..:) :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Define civilization!
One of my favourite spots is about 150 feet from a road that is a popularwalk around our village for locals and visitors alike...
I have never been bothered by dogs or their owners ...a poacher came through once but other than that I have had no unwanted visitors.
Mind you the woods are on the outskirts of a small Welsh village with bigger, better known woods nearby.....

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
What is it with dog walkers that they must drag their animals out and about?

Dont they know dogs are evolved not to go more than 25 yards from the larder or telly...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sometimes the blatant/sneaky camps can be the best, try to arrive late and be away early.

Before I moved into a town with zero wild camping opportunities I used google maps to find woodland and then checked it out with a day hike.

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
i wouldnt like to camp anywhere even close to people walking their dog. theres a reservoir i sometimes go to for a dogwalk. a very popular dogwalking/ fishing spot and if you get there early you see people camping literally meters from the path... the path that probably has someone passing every 5 minutes...

mental.

make the effort and wander into the hills or something.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
There's some nice overgrown 'woods' on the M4 motorway embankments between junction 5 and 4a.

What is it with dog walkers that they must drag their animals out and about?

Dont they know dogs are evolved not to go more than 25 yards from the larder or telly...

you forgot, sofa, duvet, kibble tin and dog walking coats have to be kept on the radiators so there warm in the morning.

several of my places are 40 yards from a dual carridge way, less than 100 metres from the M5 , UNDER THE M5 IS QUITE COMMON litteraly, canals there are hundreds of places, the back garden is also used so is the allotment

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE