How can I attach a wire rope to my cooking tin please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Hi
I picked up some nestling type Billy cans from a boot sale and would like to use them for heating food and water over an open fire. Can anyone help me with an idea of how to attach a piece of wire rope/bike gear cable to a can like a Zebra billy to hag over the fire? If possible I dont want to drill holes in the can,
Thanks for any help or idea`s
IMG_4723.jpgIMG_4729.jpgIMG_4725.jpgIMG_4724.jpg

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
any good to ya?

20140524_155944_zps24617816.jpg

20140524_160410_zpsec6961f8.jpg

not sure if theres enough lip on you're pots from the pics though

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You could simply spot weld some rings on the outside of the can and then crimp the wire rope to the welded ring

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
yep, just so mate

drill a hole in the top of the connector block and slip the top loop in with a 90deg kink in it
fyi that one in the pic fits both my crusader cup and my msr titan kettle

found another pic

20140524_155908_zpsccf9bc31.jpg

HTH......adam

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
cheers, if you get the length right its nice and secure but just slips on and off when not needed

as i say, same one fits the titan kettle too

20140712_132239_zpscc726203.jpg

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
it just slips over the lip from the top dude

That was my thinking. I'm presuming that its not adjustable, which means that its a tightish fit, rather than a very snug fit?

Still a good idea, might have to bodge one like that as another possible option

My two current versions both involve picture wire with a steel mini crab on either end. One crab attaches to the handles in the open position. The other side to a big jubilee clip which goes around the outside of the rim, or some twisted steel wire with a loop either end which is the exact circumference of the pot

The jubilee clip version has been what I've used for years on my Snow Peak 700. Its 100% solid, and won't ever come off, but probably isn't as aesthetically pleasing. Hence my interest in other options

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Terminal connectors. Not sure if B&Q stock them as a separate item but they can be found in small switches (look at in-line switches).

allrightscud

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2013
Central Belt, Scotland
Terminal connectors. Not sure if B&Q stock them as a separate item but they can be found in small switches (look at in-line switches).

Or cut them out of "chocholate block" the in out electrical plastic insulated connectors. Loads of differnet sizes and they sell them by the bundle in pound shops. I use them for loads of things other than electrical terminations.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
All very well, but you have to prepare and carry them with you. What about a thick green cut branch with a saw slot in it at an angle? That is, a cut 50% of the way through the branch at an agle of less than 90 degrees, pushed onto the lip of the can. The angle ensures that the weight of the can and its contents tighten the grip of the branch onto the can when it is lifted. As demonstrated by Mike at MCQBushcraft in one of his videos on YouTube .

[edit] see the video entitled "Bushcraft Frying Pan".

Last edited:

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Or cut them out of "chocholate block" the in out electrical plastic insulated connectors. Loads of differnet sizes and they sell them by the bundle in pound shops. I use them for loads of things other than electrical terminations.

+1 to this tip

Sent from somewhere?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE