How big do fox get ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
NickBristol said:
I thought it sounded like it could have been some dog/fox hybrid but just been reading that there is no dog species that can successfully mate with a fox. Not because they're very genetically different but due to a difference in the number of chromasomes in each species. The author of the article described is as akin to Dos and Mac filing systems...

Hope you have some luck on the NV stakeout - have you got a camera attached to the NV? Be good to see the results...
Actually, I completely forgot to talk about that to Pumbaa today :rolleyes: I don't have a camera on my N.V. scope, but I know some friends with an N.V. capable camcorder :D

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
FeralSheryl and steven andrews have come up with the nearest to what i saw , but i would say it wasnt quite so lanky and a lot stockyer . Very wolf like i suppose but reds and browns as opposed to greys, whites and blacks .
Just going to check on google to see if there is such thing as a brown wolf !
Pumbaa

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The animal I saw last night was definitely a fox. Nose, ears, brush, black feet and all, but it was big, not with those lanky, horse style legs of the S. American wolf thing and it didn't have the maned look of the other wolf either.
Maybe the foxes are just getting better feeding and less persecution....this one has an entire country park complete with a loch, several ponds and three rivers, and surrounding suburbs to feed in, and presumably it's parents did too.
One of the local poachers says he came across a roe deer carcass with two foxes at it. There's nothing else in the wild apart from us taking them down; maybe there's a niche to be filled. :confused: ......if they can learn to avoid the cars! :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
There are a lot of deer round here too ,including muntjack . Plenty of rabbits and a land fill site too scavenge from .Whatever it was it was big and strong looking (for a fox anyway) . If it is a wolf then it wasnt long legged but certainly well built , but still agile as it ducked under a barbed wire fence at a run without leaveing fur on the fence !!
how confused am i ?
Pumbaa

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think that's just the description...this beast too, "looked big and strong".
It louped the fence like a fox though, just a h*lluva big one! :)

Cheers,
Toddy

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Thats what i thought to start with , but it was twice the size of a normal fox .
Now i am completely baffled as it just seems too big and well built for a fox .
I am going to have too get my tracker head on and try and get some piccys .
Pumbaa

leon-1

pumbaa, it may well use the same area/tracks all the time, see if you can get down there and sort out some kind of track trap/sand trap for it. The trap may have to be there for a week or so.

At least that way you may be able to get pictures of the prints, a good clear defined print in sand would be quite easy to identify, the likelihood of getting a good print is not brilliant, but it is somewhere to start.

If you layed it before dark and checked it in the morning and then again before dark it would give you a bracket as far as time is concerned as well. This may allow you to get a better look at it by frequenting the same place in the same time frame as it may be there (don't forget your camera:D).

Just a couple of suggestions, Leon:)

pumbaa said:
Now thats weird , i come back on here to post this
http://www.mnh2.si.edu/education/mna/images/images/815432214160015.jpg
and you beat me to it !
if i hadn't read how rare they are i would say that was what i saw . Right size , shape and colouring . How likely is that though ?
Pumbaa
I would say staggeringly unlikely. Mind you, secret re-breeding programs have happened in the past, and wild animals are very good at escaping, so nothing is ever impossible no matter how unlikely :D

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I had a word with some of the guys in the field target club i belong to (i know that they shoot fox ) and apparently there are some very big dog foxes about in our area . So it seems most likely that that is what i saw .
I have been down there with the camera (only shot i will take on a fox) at similar times but have not seen hide nor hair of it yet .
Pumbaa

isotonicpies

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2005
pumbaa said:
Went for a walk with the dog earlier on this evening . I was walking down the local bridal way when a fox popped out onto the path about 100ft from my position . What startled me was the size of it . it was at least the size of a full grown german shepard ! Do they normaly get that big?
The bridle way does cross an old landfill site which made me wonder if it was radioactive goo that made it this big (like the 3 eyed fish on the simpsons).
I know there was a lot of talk about green goo being dumped there back in the 80s .
Cheers
Pumbaa

The only animal with fox colouring of that size in the uk is a deer. Could you have got the size right but the animal wrong due to dimishing light levels? Now I'm not suggesting you would normall confuse a fox with a deer, but the brain can play tricks. I know mine does.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
My brain does play tricks on me ! More often than id like ! But no , it was definately not a deer.
Pumbaa

stoddy

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2005
dorset
was there any tracks left?

I have shot a big fox before, years ago
and that was as big as a springer!

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
There was very little in the way of tracks that i could find (but then my tracking is rather poor) . The ground although sandyish was rather hard and there are a lot of tracks from dogwalkers and horses . I did find a small tuft of hair on the fence it went under though , it was grey on the base with a redish brown end . Oh yeah it didnt smell too nice either !
Pumbaa

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
They sometimes can get real big up here. :D :D :D

fun01.jpg
[/IMG]

cheers
Abbe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE