How best to waterproof wool?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Against my better judgement have become the guardian of a donkey jacket. I was wondering what would be the best way to give it some water repellent qualities. I have some greenland wax, would that work on such a fabric? I am not trying to make it proof to tropical downpours, but if I am caught in a shower, I would like it to perform better than blotting paper!

Z

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Lanolin is supposed to improve the water repellancy of wool garments. I expect the tightness of the weave will also affect its performance.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
i have got say i didnt think you needed to really cos wool can suposedly hold 80% of its body weight in water before if get through the other side if that makes sense

but then again i am quite prone to spouting horlick so please correct me if i am wrong

Jus_like_that

Forager
Apr 9, 2008
burton
www.jltknives.co.uk
when I wash my wool jumpers i put a bit of baby oil in after they've been washed and put it on a quick rinse, makes them itch less and its meant to make them a bit more water repellent. not sure if its true but they do itch less! :D

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I used to own an old naval pea coat, it was very warm and stood up to everything but the worst downpours as it was.

If I recall the old donkey jackets, don't they have a waterproof section over the shoulders, the part that is likely to get the wettest. They were intended for hard use and long periods of time spent outdoors without any additional treatment

techworm

Forager
Aug 18, 2006
lancashire
when I wash my wool jumpers i put a bit of baby oil in after they've been washed and put it on a quick rinse, makes them itch less and its meant to make them a bit more water repellent. not sure if its true but they do itch less! :D

how much baby oil do you put in per garment?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I used to have an untreated wool sweater that was a dense knit and still had a lot of the natural oils and lanolin from the original fleece. It was probably the best full on winter softshell I ever had. It shed rain, drizzle, sleet and snow for many hours and wind never got through until I was being blown over.

Anyway, most wool coats should still offer some repellancy anyway.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Do you really need to? I was out in the rain for quite a while on Monday in a Pendelton wool shirt, and while it was damp on the outside, it never soaked through. Give it a try first and see how you go.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE