Fjallraven and Nikwax

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

Caorach - you've just described one of the systems that I have been using for a quarter of a century - a lightweight GTX inner jacket (and trousers if nec) beneath any outer that I want/need. (Including polycotton dpm; FR No8; Ventile; Etaproof; etc)

Here's the jacket

Drop-liner.jpg

I doubt that they are still around (was mil issue) but you might still be able to pick up one of the lighter weight Dutch surplus Syntex parka liners

Syntex 1.jpg

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
I doubt that they are still around (was mil issue) but you might still be able to pick up one of the lighter weight Dutch surplus Syntex parka liners

View attachment 45009

Regatta do something called a "Pack It Jacket" which is really lightweight and packable and which makes a good "drop liner" for the sum of about £15. It is supposed to be breathable, but that is breathable in the same way as Goretex is.

The British Army waterproof jackets are also good but they are much more robust and, therefore, heavy and of greater volume when rolled up. I think they have their place and I have a few but for lightweight use something like the Regatta jacket (I'm sure many people do something similar) is ideal and inexpensive. The lightweight jackets wouldn't survive an hour of real use on their own but once they are covered with the smock they are well protected.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
I use Oxford blue wax cotton dressing on my trousers,then use a hair dryer so it soaks in..I never put them in a washing machine but just sponge them down if needs be.
They also have a scent of fire & earth about them which I like.. just smell the bottom of your camp kettle(gorgeous).

fatherdamo

Feb 22, 2023
UK
Know I'm resurrecting an old thread I know but adding my 2 pennies worth...

Always remember being told that Goretex was designed for Space, not the mountains!

UK user here, I've had over the years, Pertex, Goretex, eVent, a whole collection of different fabric types and makes, my experience is than non keep you dry if you are moving in bad weather. As soon as Goretex or eVent have rain against them, no matter how much it did bead, the surface tension of the water will eventually stop the garment breathing to it's technical specification or totally and you get wet, maybe not with the rain but with sweat. (I'm a heavy sweater uphill, but No8 allows more breathability in these conditions).
I've also found if your out long enough, you'll always get water ingress some where, whether it be the big hole where you head sticks out, of arms poke out. To me there is no holy grail fabric or jacket that will keep you dry.

I'm now using my FJ No.8 in the mountains whilst I hike and wander the low lands. It's my go to jacket and have nothing but praise for it, the hood is second to none. It's tough, takes abuse from the rocks, one less thing to worry about.

I've soaked it in the Nikwax cotton proof, added fj wax and also the Nikwax Wax spray. In times with horizontal rain on one side 40-50mph winds I've had slight water ingress on the arms. I found out myself, wearing a woollie jumper underneath, not matter the horizontal weather and wind and temperature outside, this combination keeps very me warm. The hood in wind is underrated, it's great. I won't say the No8 keeps me 100% dry because nothing in my experience keeps me 100% dry, but I'd say this combination is great for a heavy sweater as I get plenty of breathability in all conditions... to me it's staying warm that matters, whether I be moving or not.

Can't see me buying another eVent or Goretex jacket in my lifetime, think I've made my last purchase, this FJ No8 will last longer than me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE