How best to store/keep an axe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bbdave

Forager
Feb 19, 2007
Teignmouth,Devon
Do I need to oil or grease my axe to stop any rust while it's not being used? I will keep it in an outside shed which I can't guarantee is damp free.

Dave

Navek

Forager
May 25, 2015
South
Spray wd40 on an old cloth and wrapp it around the head of the axe.then hang the axe up don't have it sat one floor

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If you don't want to gamble, then oil it. If it's never used for carving anything which might contain food, 5W30 engine oil seems good enough for metals.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Wipe it dry, keep away from the damp and that's about all there is to it. If the shed is damp then some WD40 like Navek said. Don't leave it propped up where you could walk into it unless the edge is covered. An axe mask can be made from some ply or leather.

If left in a damp area, some people favour leaving the axe stuck in a log so that the cutting surface isn't exposed.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I keep all my cutting tools in the house but if I had to store them in the shed I'd definitely oil it or use wd40 on the head.

Tantalus

Native
May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Not a great fan of WD40 for long term store, it evaporates completely and leaves no oil behind. WD40 was invented to remove water (the WD stands for water displacement)

Grand for hosing tools down with when you bring them in out the wet but once the water has been dispersed , slap some oil on and cover with an oily cloth.

Not sure if it is new or not, but recently bought some spray 3 in 1 which seems to be doing a fine job of keeping moisture off my saws and tools after they have been dried ... so far.

Tant

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE