How best to finish a wooden spoon?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
Just want to put a coat of something on a carved wooden spoon and am wondering what is the most common non toxic finisher.

I've heard cooking oils are sometimes used however they can rot if not used than often?

I have some boiled linseed oil but I dont think linseed oil is suitable unless its pure can anyone help me out?

I've used olive oil myself and never had any ill effect with it. Either from an eating point of view or from it rotting. I even used it on a large kist that I made and its held up fine.

You are right with the boiled linseed oil as it has additives in it to help it harden quicker, its these that are toxic. Pure oil doesn't have these.

I have heard of people using walnut oil and the like. Its meant to be good.

Chris

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Walnut oil is lovely as it is so light, in colour and consistency. If you want a more durable finish, Liberon Finishing Oil works well. It's the stuff they put on wooden work surfaces in kitchens, is non-toxic and so suitable for foods. It does require a bit of work but the end product is very good.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
I use sunflower-oil. Works great for me. I like the fact that it doesn`t have to much flavour to it, so not everything you eat tastes like the oil you`ve used.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE