House Elves at Work?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
OK, if you don't read Harry Potter you won't know what I'm talking about. :D

I've written a couple of postings recently (Review of Woodlore Course and Birch Bark Cigar Firelighter) and they have magically appeared in the Articles section a little while later.

Someone is watching me... :eek:

Geoff

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Happened to me too, on a big well researched but bad grammer post on the deadly poisonous fungi. I posted rather pressed preview when I wrote it, I corrected most of the mistakes, but it could of been better written.

I suppose it's flattering but seeing your bad grammer up in lights is a bit embarrassing.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
It would be good if the original author had the facility to correct typos, etc. when a posting is converted to an article...

Geoff

xylaria

It would be good if the original author had the facility to correct typos, etc. when a posting is converted to an article...

Geoff

That would be really nice, as the post I did by the time I got all the links working and in the right place, my head was a bit battered to make sure it was well written.

Next time i do a proper post i'll make sure it well written just incase the house elves think it is shiney.

It does encourage good posts though, like a reward because we haven't got rep points.

leon-1

Folks it happens to us all, I normally get someone else to proof read anything that may be either used as an article or something that is being specifically written for that purpose.

It may be worth typing it out in word format with all the ugly errors removed and then submitting the new version directly to BCUK asking if it can replace the original. I don't know if it can be done, but you can but ask.

xylaria

Folks it happens to us all, I normally get someone else to proof read anything that may be either used as an article or something that is being specifically written for that purpose.

It may be worth typing it out in word format with all the ugly errors removed and then submitting the new version directly to BCUK asking if it can replace the original. I don't know if it can be done, but you can but ask.

We didn't specifically write anything for the purpose of an article, I wrote a post. Asking before hand so a post can be proofread and receive slight rewrites by the author I'm sure would be a better plan. I am not the sort of person that understands, if the subject I am talking about is interesting or not to someone else, so dont know if what i am saying is general article material hence why I never submit anything.

I wrote my original in word, and the links were eaten when I tried to paste it into the the forum tool. The e-mail setting on word insists on sending it through the microsoft address that not set up.

leon-1

We didn't specifically write anything for the purpose of an article, I wrote a post. Asking before hand so a post can be proofread and receive slight rewrites by the author I'm sure would be a better plan.

Hi xylaria. Making Keltoi Moccasins was also written as a post originally, but because it was a little bit of a tutorial I checked it before posting.

I am not the sort of person that understands, if the subject I am talking about is interesting or not to someone else, so dont know if what i am saying is general article material hence why I never submit anything.

You should submit more, it's a bushcraft forum and there are quite a few who would be interested in the mycology side of life, if only so they can identify the good from the bad. I know that my recognition isn't brilliant.

I wrote my original in word, and the links were eaten when I tried to paste it into the the forum tool. The e-mail setting on word insists on sending it through the microsoft address that not set up.

I have had that problem before myself so I can appreciate that as being a bit of a nuisance.:(

If I sent it as an e-mail it would normally go through Outlook / Kontact / or Thunderbird as an attachment to an e-mail. The images would be zipped and numbered in a seperate attachment if it had been specifically written for publication, either on the forum or in the BCUK magazine.

As I said you should consider putting up more articles.:)

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Just noticed today that my journal tutorial is now on the main site. Like others I am flattered that it has been used. I also appreciate that all the pictures have been resized and hosted on the BCUK server so they are not eating my bandwidth or going to be lost if I move them about from their original locations.

I would have thought it would be an idea to post a note on the original thread saying it was now on the main site, just so people know. Given the work resizing the pictures and uploading them I can't think this would be much trouble in comparison.

Also I would think it would be worth having a link at the end of the articles linking to the original threads that way people could see the discussion that followed the article as well.

all though im sure no body minds

i would have thought it polite to ask or at least tell the author they where going to take an artical let alone take photos and re host ???

there may be a copyright thing ??????? i now of one guy who insisted the mods delete all his 3000 posts as they where his copyright when he choose to leave a forum which is rediculas but may be legally true
so copying work away from author control with out prior agreement could cause a problem

ATB

Duncan

I am assuming that in the agreement when you register for the forum you give permission for this sort of use. You will retain the copyright but allow BCUK to use the material.

I've not checked the agreement so this is just an assumption.

still nice to be asked/told :D then you could at least have a chance to get out any glaring errors

could be months before you find out your published and get to wear a nice warm fuzzy feeling

i wouldnt have a problem (then again im unlikley to write anything that usfull or that good)
and 99.9999999999999999999999% i assume wont was more on teh curtosy side etc

ATB

Duncan

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I think this is what covers the site in the creation an article from a thread/tutorial: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/internal/legal-documents/bushcraftuk-terms-and-conditions-of-use.html

3. CONTENT SUBMITTED TO THE WEBSITE

...............................Any Content provided by you by, for example, posting messages to bulletin boards or chat forums, uploading files, inputting data, or engaging in any other form of communication through this Website, although owned by you, is subject to a royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive, unrestricted, world-wide licence allowing Bushcraft Media Limited to use, distribute, copy, sub-license, adapt, transmit, publicly perform or display any such content. You agree to irrevocably and unconditionally waive on your behalf in perpetuity in respect of such Content the benefit of any provision of law known as moral rights of authors or any similar law in any country.

I do, however, think that the writer should be given prior notice, the choice and time to submit ammedments and the opportunity to recieve proper accreditation (whether their proper name or user ID etc):although owned by you . On occasion I borrow ideas to teach scouts and I always accredit the person(s)/source from whom I gained the information as accurately as I am able

leon-1

I think this is what covers the site in the creation an article from a thread/tutorial: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/internal/legal-documents/bushcraftuk-terms-and-conditions-of-use.html

3. CONTENT SUBMITTED TO THE WEBSITE

...............................Any Content provided by you by, for example, posting messages to bulletin boards or chat forums, uploading files, inputting data, or engaging in any other form of communication through this Website, although owned by you, is subject to a royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive, unrestricted, world-wide licence allowing Bushcraft Media Limited to use, distribute, copy, sub-license, adapt, transmit, publicly perform or display any such content. You agree to irrevocably and unconditionally waive on your behalf in perpetuity in respect of such Content the benefit of any provision of law known as moral rights of authors or any similar law in any country.

I do, however, think that the writer should be given prior notice, the choice and time to submit ammedments and the opportunity to recieve proper accreditation (whether their proper name or user ID etc):although owned by you . On occasion I borrow ideas to teach scouts and I always accredit the person(s)/source from whom I gained the information as accurately as I am able

I think you also missed the bit saying that you would now be selling your soul and be allied to the devil for all eternity in the event that a member of BCUK should teach you fire by friction.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Selling my soul????? I was agreeing with the right of BCUK to create an article from a post/thread. I was quoting part of Section 3 of BcUK's Terms and Conditions which we all agree to prior to becoming a member.

Neither do I see it as selling my soul to say that I learned something from a named individual on this or any other site - giving accreditation is something that I (and most people) do automatically.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE