Hot Chocolate

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
We're not coffee drinkers, but we do like the odd hot chocolate, usually, it's made with Cadburys powder and milk and anything else is a little lacking, especially the water and milk mix...Ummm...

But, I'm happy to try alternatives and so here's the question for those hot choc drinkers among you...
What's your favourite hot chocolate and why? I've got the Moot coming up next week so I'm happy to try a few alternatives, brands, instant ones etc...

Or if there's a certain way of putting it together that you really enjoy, share your secret!

hot chocolate.jpg

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Home made hot chocolate with Green and Blacks Cocoa powder and coffee whitener.

Exact quantities here. Sadly the picture was lost due to the Photobucket fiasco :(

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Read some history of the spice trade and the coffee/tea trade.
"Nathaniel's Nutmeg" is a well referenced tome on the psychpathic competition between British and Dutch.

Cocoa names from then are Hershey, Cadbury, Nestle', Fry and others.
Twinning began with coffee and also went for teas.
Lindt was instrumental in developing the fine grinding equipment.
Nestle' was(?) instrumental in defatting the beans (cocoa butter) for confectionary.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Buy the best quality real chocolate. Grate it into a cup. Add hot milk and a bit of sugar to sweeten if needed. Add a good glug of brandy. Im partial to cherry brandy. You could of course use Cadburys choc powder in the normal way but I like the melty chocolate at the bottom of the mug scooped up with a finger and given a good likkin mmmm mmmm! .

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Read some history of the spice trade and the coffee/tea trade.
"Nathaniel's Nutmeg" is a well referenced tome on the psychpathic competition between British and Dutch.

Cocoa names from then are Hershey, Cadbury, Nestle', Fry and others.
Twinning began with coffee and also went for teas.
Lindt was instrumental in developing the fine grinding equipment.
Nestle' was(?) instrumental in defatting the beans (cocoa butter) for confectionary.
Van Houten invented the alkaline treatment to get superior tasting cocoa.
The book you mention is very entertsining and informative.
Much, much better than Kurlansky’s book Cod, which is very narrow and limited.

Or Salt, same there.
Weird those books arrived at around the same time!

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've read Kurlansky: Salt: A World History. Falls on its face about 3/4 of the way. Flat endings.
For the most part, it's a grand assembly of the history and usage of salts.
I didn't read "Cod," believing correctly that there would be enough crossover text in "Salt".

I collect salt from all over the world. Inexpensive hobby and profoundly different tastes.
I bought a mortar and pestle to grind a pinch at a time. "Finishing" salts are underwhelming.

Every placename in the UK which ends in -wich had salt works.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I use Fry's cocoa powder. Mostly on cold cereal with milk. Good sprinkled on grilled red meats.
Some as an essential ingredient in particular real smoker BBQ dry rubs.
I will do the same but substitute instant coffee (or espresso) for a different taste.
The original Aztec word is 'chocolatl.'

Janne: Let's see your recipes for each of those nearly synonymous terms.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The way I do it is simple.
Melt some butter, stir in cocoa powder, gently heat. Kind of like making a very light roux.
Then I slowly pour milk on, 2% or 4% fat, stirring with a baloon stirrer
( wrong name?) on medium heat, stirring all the time.
Heat up.

Add sugar, or honey. A little bit of salt.

I usually let it cool so it is not ’coffee’ hot.

I do not like making the drink from ‘drinking chocolate’ as I find them to sweet, and most have a ton of unwanted ingredients.

I used to make a cocoa with water and a bit of salt only, but went off it.

If I can recommend something, Tony, that is to prepare the Cocoa/ butter ’roux’ at home, and place in a jar.
Easy to prepare from that over an open fire.
Make your own stirrer from a nearby bush.
As we all like a different sweetness grade, just let people sweeten themselves. Honey, brown or white sugar, Stevia, whatever sweet you fancy!

I do find some salt improves the flavour a lot. A small pinch per large mug.

Want to be adventurous? Add a tiny, tiny pinch of Cayenne pepper.
The Capsaicin tittilates the tastebuds.

Other ‘weird’ flavours to experiment with is Cinnamon, Nutmeg, stuff like that.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
When I had my own Venison, I liked it with one of two sauces.
Based on Coffee and malt and heavy cream or Cocoa and dark rum and heavy cream.

Reindeer goes better with a Lingonberry and Chantarelle cream sauce.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Has anyone tried chilli chocolate? I bet that would make a warming drink if made the way I stated above. If you'd like to try that one Tony and can't find it I'll post you a bar if you send me your address. Don't like it myself as I don't like chilli but it's supposed to be great.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
It is nice!
Lindt is the best.

Next time you visit civilisation, get a Scotch Bonnet pepper and try. Much, much nicer that Chilli.

A good intro for you, Woody Gurl, is to get some medium Jamaican yellow S. B. Sauce.
A good brand is Eaton’s or Grace.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Lindt chili chocolate is nice for a change. I prefer the Cassis (black currant.) but the Orancia/Orange is my #1.

When the Spanish hit central America, they were introduced to the Aztec preparation made with chocolatl.
Corn meal was mixed with the cocoa to make it less fatty. (The Aztec knew to ferment and roast the cocoa beans.)
That in turn was added to boiling water with some ground chili peppers. Facts from Spanish chronicles of the time.

Besides altering the word a little, the Spanish concocted the commonplace variant with vanilla and sugar.
The Aztec knew to ferment the seed pods of the vanilla orchid as a flavoring.

The Moors had brought sugar cane to Spain and they, in turn, transplanted it into the Americas.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Per cup:
1 tsp cocoa powder (like what's used for baking)
1-2 tsp of sugar (the amount of sugar changes the flavours massively. try at home and see what works for you)
Also:
a tiny splash of water
milk (I have tried both cow's and soya milk)

Directions:
Mix cocoa, sugar and (just enough) water into a thick paste.
Heat gently until it's gone smooth and the gritty texture has disappeared (=sugar has melted).
Add the milk slowly while whisking/stirring.
Heat to desired temperature.

Can be done on the hob, in a microwave or over a naked flame/fire. You just need to be able to remove the pot to regulate the temperature and prevent the paste burning.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Has anyone tried chilli chocolate? I bet that would make a warming drink if made the way I stated above. If you'd like to try that one Tony and can't find it I'll post you a bar if you send me your address. Don't like it myself as I don't like chilli but it's supposed to be great.
I often add a bit of ground cayenne pepper to my hot chocolate. Much the same as the Aztecs did.

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
I am not usually a chocolate drinker but my wife is a chocaholic and swears by Aero drinking chocolate. I have to admit she is right, as always. very smooth and creamy (the chocolate) compared to cadburys.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE