Hot chocolate

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
...complete with frothy cream, brandy, marshmallows and candy cane stirrer was hotter than expected.....

A cough / spray of that lot into the large beard means I'll be finding it for days :)

Nice neighbour though!

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
That actually sounds rather nice if given of a sudden craving for something sweet. Problem is I've been so exercised by those appalling concoctions that have made Starbucks fortune, and are supposed to complement coffee I struggle to see beyond the reprimands I cast at my 13-year old Starbucks-loving Daughter for spending her inheritance on just such carp!

Mind you I got my own back recently when forced to go into the Carnaby Street branch as when the Barrister asked my name I shouted "JED".

Still spelt it wrong though!

K

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
i hope it was your beard and not the neighbours?!:p

Thankfully she doesn't sport one!

That actually sounds rather nice if given of a sudden craving for something sweet

It was - proper home made stuff with high cocoa solids dark chocolate so the sweeter stuff made a nice counterpoint. I'm not much for sweet things but this was lovely.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You've just given me an idea! Never thought of the cane stirrer; we usually use a cinnamon stick over here. I'll have to try that cane idea with the grandkids!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
A family friend in his nineties who was in military intelligence in london, interrogating german sub commanders, during WW2 sends us hot chocolate, by 'charbonnel et walker.'
As with the original hot chocolate taverns in london, it was made with just water.
Highly recommended.

I know you like a bit of military history and have a tailored pallet Hugh. Give it a try!

Its on amazon.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Spanish explorers record that the original Aztec drink, 'chocolatl,' was roasted cocoa bean, hot water, corn flour (to cut the fat) and hot peppers.
I think that the decision to substitute sugar and vanilla was a good one.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Seem to remember someone saying that on the US frontier that chocolate outsold coffee & tea.

Made with just water, and something sweet like maple sugar, called boiled chocolate.

Edit:
It was Steve Davis's channel... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j25c4djG3U

Last edited:

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Sounds like a good idea....
Dipping the facial fluff in hot cocoa and then letting it solidify, so you can suckle and nibble, whenever you like.
Main issue I always have is that there are strands of still attached facial fluff in the food when I do not want it.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
A family friend in his nineties who was in military intelligence in london, interrogating german sub commanders, during WW2 sends us hot chocolate, by 'charbonnel et walker.'
As with the original hot chocolate taverns in london, it was made with just water.
Highly recommended.

I know you like a bit of military history and have a tailored pallet Hugh. Give it a try!

Its on amazon.

I'll back Dave up on that, probably the best commercial hot chocolate base I've ever had; also nice eaten with a spoon, dry, when I was stranded in a snow hole for longer than I expected due to weather and my food ran out. 10/10 for yum factor.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE