Horses Hoof and Tinder Fingus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
I've concluded that horses hoof and tinder fungus, at least in my area, is nocturnal. I must have scoured over 200 birch and beech, in several locations, and all I've found are a couple of dozen polypores. Can anyone offer any tips as to what constitutes the ideal environment for the aforementioned?

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Not the best time of year for polypores, give it another month or two before they start sprouting in earnest. The only few you'll find this time of year will be last years dried and rotting ones.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The only tree's I've found Horses Hoof on, in our area that is, are willows and right next to the riverbanks at that.

I've not come across them on any other tree's round here, though I'm always checking out "sickly" looking tree's, for whatever might be knocking about.

A few months back, I found my first "King Alfreds Cakes" locally, something that is common in more southern regions but not so, round here a ways:confused:

I've got some pretty big lumps of HH, For free! if you want to have a go at it:)

R.B.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Round here it's found on Birch growing on damp land. Occasionally we find it on Beech, but it's so rare that I don't even bother looking round them for it, just Birch.

I've got a mixed hedge with a lot of copper Beech in it, I'll keep my eyes open though.

cheers,
Toddy

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I heard somewhere that all the Hoof Fungus's in England had been used up over the last couple of hundred years. Up here in the Highlands however where there have been less people there is still plenty around. This could be complete nonsense but it seems plausable enough? Oddly Crampballs are rare up here!

Harnser

Aug 10, 2010
North Norfolk
I've found a good supply King Alfreds Cakes on an ash tree that blew down approx 12 years ago, they do seem to be easier to find than HH Fungus down here in Norfolk ,may be its the way some woodland is managed they seem to want clear alot the fallen and decaying trees and leave the ground clear.
I have found some very old HH Fungus on Birch but was too far gone to use. The ash tree I mention is in a very old unmanaged wood. I have'nt looked on willow yet but would be worth exploring.

H

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Theres hundreds of Horses hoof fungal brackets around my area. Birch is best for finding them.
Most bracket fungi will have a trauma layer that can be made into amadou, so keep an eye out at the base of most broadleaved trees. Beech and Oak are good for Ganoderma a much larger sps. Look away from roads and the main paths as many of these infected trees are cleared now.

thecalbanner

May 24, 2010
hereford
im in hereford an i never found any here. however i went to sherwood forest last week an it seems thats where all the hh is hiding. there was loads.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
only just started looking for these...like 'thecalbanner' found plenty of birch polypore but no HH yet in Hereford..maybe a sneaky :bandit: trip over the boarder to that there Wales is in order...hee hee hee :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE