Horizon: How Big Is the Universe? (T) Mon 21:00

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
"Horizon: How Big Is the Universe? (T) Mon 21:00

Cosmologists discuss their project to create a map of everything in existence, and reveal that their research has yielded some highly unexpected results, creating a picture stranger than anything they had imagined. Scientists also explain why the map suggests the universe may not be an all-encompassing entity - but merely the starting point for something much bigger."

Looks interesting :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Me too, as I'll be watching Harry's Heroes and save the geeky stuff for when the wife and kids are in bed so I can concentrate!

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
As usual, massive food for thought. Another good Horizon :)

:bluThinki So,

The Universe is flat, not curved.

Its infinitely large

Its measured at a finite 14.5 odd billion years old from the big bang

Light travels at a finite speed

The first two theories contradict the last two in a large(cosmic size) way. :nono:

An infinitely large distance cannot be covered in a finite time and at finite speed :confused:

Wheres bushcraftin' Brian Cox when you need him? :)

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
As usual, massive food for thought. Another good Horizon :)

:bluThinki So,

The Universe is flat, not curved.

Its infinitely large

Its measured at a finite 14.5 odd billion years old from the big bang

Light travels at a finite speed

The first two theories contradict the last two in a large(cosmic size) way. :nono:

An infinitely large distance cannot be covered in a finite time and at finite speed :confused:

Wheres bushcraftin' Brian Cox when you need him? :)

I recorded it :) Been sat all day, and still am, marking work before i go back to school - yes, another moaning teacher :)

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I once read that strange large 'tubes' of nebula type 'things' had been discovered which were over 100 billion light years long. How could this be in a universe which is supposedly 14 billion light years across.
I hope you liked my very scientific terminology.

As a teenager I also read a book (forgotten the title and author, good start eh), in which it was discussed that the universe and everything is just your perception, in fact we are the universe. Each atom in our body is a galaxy, smaller quarks are stars, smaller particles are planets. So we are teenie weenie, inside these particles.

Might need to cut back on the Himalayan balsam seeds.:D

sent from my Jelly Bean'd galaxy nexus.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I once read that strange large 'tubes' of nebula type 'things' had been discovered which were over 100 billion light years long. How could this be in a universe which is supposedly 14 billion light years across...

Perhaps the other end is in another universe?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
So, from what I understood ... the Universe is infinite and there is more than one, it is full of "Dark Matter" and "Dark Energy" neither of which can we see or understand.
The Universe started as nothing - which exploded - and is continuing to grow ... despite already being infinite already ....
Science realy does have all the answers!:rolleyes:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
So, from what I understood ... the Universe is infinite and there is more than one, it is full of "Dark Matter" and "Dark Energy" neither of which can we see or understand.
The Universe started as nothing - which exploded - and is continuing to grow ... despite already being infinite already ....
Science realy does have all the answers!:rolleyes:

Just because something is infinite doesn't mean it can't be bigger - it's logical to say "infinity +1" - welcome to the idea of the infinite hotel:
[video=youtube;faQBrAQ87l4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faQBrAQ87l4[/video]

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
As a teenager I also read a book (forgotten the title and author, good start eh), in which it was discussed that the universe and everything is just your perception, in fact we are the universe. Each atom in our body is a galaxy, smaller quarks are stars, smaller particles are planets. So we are teenie weenie, inside these particles.

Another as close to the truth answer as is possible to articulate. :)

The joys of perception and relativity :)

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I enjoyed the programme, turns out the universe is pretty big.

..big, really big, you just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind bogglingly big it is..

[video=youtube;2NjSPKxt4ts]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NjSPKxt4ts[/video]

:)

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
No theory yet explains in a satisfactory way all of the things that we think we can see. We haven't done the right sums yet, but we're getting there.

Current estimates for the size and age of the [B}observable[/B] universe are about 92 billion light years in diameter and 13.75 billion years old respectively.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universe

Does that mean that things can travel faster than light? Well, it depends how you look at it. Maybe they didn't all start out in the same 'place', or maybe a 'place' isn't necessarily what you think it is. :)

I really like this stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation_(cosmology)

The things that dictate how most of what we see now actually look must have happened in the first micro-nano-nano-nano-second after the big whatsit.

Makes you think, eh? :)

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
I once read that strange large 'tubes' of nebula type 'things' had been discovered which were over 100 billion light years long. How could this be in a universe which is supposedly 14 billion light years across

You can fit meters of string in a soda can a couple of centimeters across ;)
In fact, you can have a line with infinite length within a finite space. Consider the perimeter of a fractal. It is infinite even though the fractal occupies finite space.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE