Horace Kephart's knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I have wanted to make those knives since Snufkin (used to be a member here) mentioned the name of the man.

I finally got around to finishing these two, my interpretation of his knives.

The knives together, with his book.
DSCN0056-2.jpg

The fishing knife. The "teeth" on the spine are not intended to be a saw, they were intended to de-scale the fish, after he'd caught them, presumably!
DSCN0058-2.jpg

The fishing knife, in hand. That handle is really nice to hold and manipulate.
DSCN0059-2.jpg

The bush knife. The handle is somewhat different from the original, couldn't resist a few mods!
DSCN0060-1.jpg

The steel is 01, 3/32 thick (about 2.5mm) The scales are made of Ash. First time i used Ash for handles, and will definitely use it again.

The fishing knife is 218 mm long, the blade, 95 mm long and 25 mm wide. The bush knife is 200 mm, blade,100mm by 27mm wide. Both are convex ground, the first time I have used this grind on my knives, so not perfected as yet. They are sharp enough though..:)

I have used my vinegar/chopped garlic etch on the blades.

I think with a few minor mods, the fishing knife will make a very good bushcraft knife...:cool:

Comments welcome :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I like the fishing knife, great work. :)

For anyone with an interest in the life and works of Horace Kephart, there is a wealth of information, documents and pictures to be found on the website of the Western Carolina University Hunter Library here.

Last edited:

Rick S

Jan 27, 2010
USA
I read Horace Kephart all the time and have all his books. Lots of information and I enjoy them very much. On the negative side he walked off and left his family to pursue his own interests. A little hard to respect that.

VtBlackdog

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2008
VT~USA
...and, his effort to create a national park resulted in about 5,000 people being evicted from thier homes. I used to be a fan until I found that out.

But, really nice job on the knives!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I read Horace Kephart all the time and have all his books. Lots of information and I enjoy them very much. On the negative side he walked off and left his family to pursue his own interests. A little hard to respect that.

Was that before or after he found his wife in bed with another man?

Rick S

Jan 27, 2010
USA
Well that would make a man take to the woods. Wasn't explained in the forward of one of his books. Just stated that he abandoned his family.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
:confused:For God's sake... I start a thread about a couple of knives I made.. And what do we get? the start of a argument about the personality of the bloke who used them about a century ago...:( People are weird....:dunno:

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
klingons.jpg

Can't find that other Klingon holding his head in despair.... so a good scream will have to do...:eek:

AND he kicked dogs.....welll, that's it then, he's definitely no good as a woodsman then....:BlueTeamE

Last edited:
P

Pcwizme

I really like the knives, did you have fun making them?

Im seriously considering getting my self some steel from cromwells and trying to make me a knife!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Thanks gentlemen.. Indeed, no frills, Ash scales handles, no liners, no filework, thinner blades, just some simple knives. Also my first go at making convex grind blades. Not as easy as they seem I am discovering. I have been rubbing shoulders with our americans friends at Bushcraftusa and convex is beginning to grow on me! I am beginning to think they maybe better than scandis......:pokenest:

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Kephart was one of the original bushcrafters (that recorded what he did) I think Mr Mears was largely influenced by him, scandinavian natives and the desire to use a knife for weight training when he came up with his knife design.:pokenest:
Those are fine examples Jojo, especially the spearpoint which looks very close to the original. I like your french dressing etch and I like convex grinds. We had a long thread about them on here in the distant past.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE