Hoover filters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 12, 2009
Kent, England
Would the filter from a vacuum cleaner be any good as a water filter?
Obviously you'd have to boil the water afterwards, or add some other filtration technique.

What do you think?

Fred

Aug 12, 2009
Kent, England
Didn't know they were paper-based
Mine seemed more "fibrey" than paper

EDIT: HEPA filters are fiberglass based, but only filter to 0.5 microns at best.
They're made to get 0.3 micron fibres, but I suspect that they wouldn't in water.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2009
Kent, England
Personally, I wouldn't be keen on all the dust and cat hairs in my water from the Hoover filters.

:lmao: I meant unused ones!

Thanks for the tip Dave - I'm too much of a cheapskate to buy a millbank bag if that works almost as well.

I take it I should still boil it or add chlorine tabs to it afterwards?

PS: And would some felt sewn into the bottom of the "Jeansbank bag" make it filter any better?

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
millbank bag is only around a tenner or so i believe,

thing to do is filter it with the millbank then either boil it or add steriliser type tabs.

the only thing about my millbank bag is it takes a while to produce water, wat with filtering then boiling etc

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Another lightweight and cheap alternativ is a replacement jelly straining bag from Lakeland £3.99

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/jelly-strainer-set/F/keyword/straining/product/3809_3810

I have one of these and a Millbank bag The jelly strainer is fine for a small amount of water when just walking and making a brew if camping I take the Millbank bag
I have also used a ladies finely woven head scarf as a filter in the past
Hope thats useful

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Before I bought a Pre-mac I used to nick a few of SWMBO's coffee filters to get the gunge of of water before boiling it. Those plastic doofers with filter coffee in may prove useful after the coffee has drained out (Rombouts?)

featherstick

Forager
May 21, 2008
South East
:lmao: I meant unused ones!

Thanks for the tip Dave - I'm too much of a cheapskate to buy a millbank bag if that works almost as well.

I take it I should still boil it or add chlorine tabs to it afterwards?

PS: And would some felt sewn into the bottom of the "Jeansbank bag" make it filter any better?

The filter stage is only to remove lumps of matter that would make your boiling or chemical sterilisation less effective. If you know that you have to sterilise the water, then you need to filter first, then boil or add chlorine afterwards. Don't bother with felt.

I love the jeans tip, by the way.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I dont think vacuum cleaner filters are designed to get wet, go with either coffee filters or as suggested get a propper millbank bag, for the price theres no point trying to cut corners

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
The millbank bag will only remove particulate matter. A jeans leg double stitched at the bottom does exactly that as well Just make it the same shape. you'll still have to sterilise the water after filtration of course but it's a cheap option :D

pic-2-size-comparison1-300x135.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE