Hootchi ridge line

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
I've just got a new Aussie Hootchi (thanks tone), my question is what is the best way to attach the top rope, ridge line, to the hootchi. I've tried running it through the webbing loops a few times but it seems a bit loose, any hints or tips please.

Brian

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
that's the method "Ray mears" very much promoted, which is seen as standard nowerdays, it's easy to set up and take down even move forward and back for a star view and that's why the loops across the hooctchi are there "for ease of setting up".

i have never used that method

i have always tied straight from the sides and edges, which is more of a British army/US Army method.(as if the cords on a square parachute) which has always been tighter and easier to adapt (rather than having to unthread the whole thing).

(the reason the British army and US do this is because the Bahsas or ponchos never had the ridge looped feature)

i have always found having anything loose on a tarp is asking for trouble especially if the wind gets up in the night. also it's noisey and can cause a build up of water which is obvious.

another variation is to use elastic travel straps AKA bungees, for easier fixing to things, no Knots needed!

another idea is to simply make a "clothesline" with your cord hang the hootchi over it and peg down, the problem (which the hootchi loops don't allow) is water can run down the cord and drip inside (which can be stopped with a stick or knot tied into the line)

i guess to keep things simple, because there is play in the ridge loops it will move, unless you tighten the rest of the hootchi to compensate.
which with bungees, or extra cords already attached it's far easier to do.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
I use bungees at work but wanted to try with the ridge line. The army issue basha/shelter sheets do have the webbing loops but for ease and speed most people use bungees.

Brian

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Run the ridge line through the center line loops except for the 2 at either end. Attach the end loops to the ridge line with Prusik Knots. Then you can pull it taught.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
top idea Viking! :biggthump

Here's mine:

i start at home by tiying 6 ft lengths of cord to each corner and side of the tarp, altertively i use elastic if i'm not expecting strong winds, rain.

1. select two trees a suitable distance apart, and general H+S.
2. insure ground is flat, dry, no roots, stones ect.

(tent method as in above thread)

3. unfold tarp to reveal middle cords, tie to tree, usually roundturn and two half hitches.(in strong winds i will tripple or quadruple the hitches) nothing fancy here!

4 . pull out the corners and peg out tight. then take the center and do likewise. i often use the loops rather than the rings as the loops add hight and give a little space for water to drip off.

(lean-to method my preferance)

3. take any corner and tie chest hight trying to get 45 deg angle to trees or branches, lower is warmer and more hidden.

4. you can either peg it to touch the ground(to keep wind out) or have it higher(using long cords) better for rain or sun protection and you get more space to move around.

if using your tarp as a animal hunting hide or simular, the angle must be alot flatter( to hide the shape). position it no higher than knee high and throw leaf litter over the top of it. this is what i was taught as the prefered method in the army for fighting positions, as you get good overhead cover and all round vision. oh and remember to use green string! :roll:

(

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I'm off to the woods next weekend so I'll take the camera & photograph a few different setups with Hootchie, Poncho and Parachute :biggthump

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
This probably counts as cheating but...

I made a long 'guy' rope out of some 3mm climbing cord (less stretch than para cord) and fastened a tiny karabiner style clip too each end. I just loop each end round a tree and clip it to itself, put the tension in with the 'guy rope' slide and bingo one very taught bomb proof ridge line in about 15 seconds.

DSC_0141.JPG

Could be a thing of the past though, SWMBO (pictured) has directed me to buy a Hilleberg Nallo II GT :eek:): coz it actually works out lighter than the 2 ponchos + 4 bungees + ridge line + 4 pegs + 2 bivi bags.

Scoops

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
more you might like to try, good for rain wind protection in a sitting postion.

take oposite corners of the tarp/poncho, tie one to branch or tree, (aim for 45 deg's again) and peg the oposite corner down.

take the other two corners and peg them in a 45 deg from the first ground peg you should now have a wedge shaped shelter with overhead and 2 wall protection with space to cook or fix gear(probably not enough space to sleep unless it's a big sheet).

something i tried with my british army basha was this:

all round protection.

first peg down one of the short sides.

next next take a post or tree(if close enough) and tie so the edges of the tarp meet all the way up(other short side.
probably best to pre-cut a post exactly half the length of the short side.

when erected you will have a small but cosy shelter with all round protection, aproxamately the shape of a humbug!

again prehaps not for sleeping unless you curl up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE