Hoosier National Forest - USA, Indiana

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 14, 2011
Indiana - USA
Well, this will be my second post on this forum besides my introduction. I am an active member of BushcraftUSA and thought I'd share a weekend out with you. I did this overnighter with Firebug, who is my girlfriend and she just joined the forum as well.

This was our second trip to the same location in two weeks. Our goal was to try and improve the shelter and see if we could increase the warmth through the night. We succeeded at both endeavors.

First we lowered the front of the lean-to and placed about 6-10 inches of pine needles under the tarp on the ground. Then we put fresh pine boughs on the top of the tarp then an heavy duty mylar emergency tarp on top of that with the mylar facing up. Then I closed in the sides with debris and more leaves and pine needles. Just to test myself I used buttons with all fastening to the tarp. I also tried to use several knots I've been working on like the taunt-line knot, square lashing and a noose to go around the buttons. This configuration, along with the long fire and emergency blanket reflector inside, created an almost to hot situation in our shelter. When we finally settled down I had no socks on, a light layer and was in as far as possible to get away from the heat, which was high.. Obviously after a few hours this all died down and I eventually climbed into my bag but didn't even zip it up. I kept large logs close and just leaned to feed the fire. I only had to feed the fire 1 or 2 times.. One of those times was after we were awakened by a local coyote making his rounds.. I think we frustrated him when we woke up and started talking. By the sounds he made he did not like it.

We had a cozy night and awesome time and got to practice some useful skills... I'd call this trip a huge success. Here a a few pictures from our trip..

IMG_0638.jpg

Firebug and I about to embark.
IMG_0643.jpg

What we assumed was Coyote scat..
IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

This was actually the shelter during deconstruction.
IMG_0857.jpg

Pine boughs..
IMG_0706.jpg

Then the mylar blanket.
IMG_0709.jpg

Getting the walls filled in.. This helped a lot.
IMG_0860.jpg

My buttons..
IMG_0875.jpg

Enjoying the fruits of labor.
IMG_0851.jpg

IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

Firebug

Jan 17, 2011
Louisville, Ky
It was a great trip shared with my best friend. We went two weekends in a row...hiking it all in. We are taking a breather this weekend but then we will embark out once again. Now...to just figure out a way to do this for a living...:p

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Welcome Fishbone and Firebug!

What we assumed was Coyote scat..
IMG_0660.jpg

Coyote for sure, the Honey Locust seeds and size are a dead give away! I spend alot of time over at Land Between the Lakes hunting. The scat, as you picture it is common in that area. I have observed some very large (80 - 90 lbs) coyotes in that area. Hope to be there for a week next month.

My wife has lots of family (Lotherys) in the Sellersburg area. I'm from SE, KY.

Gordy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE