hook knife passaround ... with a twist

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Last Sunday I gathered together a group of spoon makers from fairly novice to very experienced for a more systematic test of the hook knives. Eight people, eight knives, eight fairly similar blocks of lime to scoop into. They had a few minutes with each knife, time to write a few comments, then they passed it around the circle. (Robin took some photos of the set up, hopefully he'll post them later.)

The knives
hookknives.jpg

from bottom (l) to top (r): Bo Helgesson, Ben Orford - deep curve, Ben Orford - shallow curve, Del Stubbs, Svante Djarv, Frosts - deep curve, Frosts - Robin modified, Frosts - double edged

A summary of their feedback

Bo Helgesson (Helgess)
Blade largely felt to give a good cut and to be versatile for both shallow and deep cuts. Handle ok, but would have been better if blade set further in.

Ben Orford - deep curve
Comments on the blade were largely positive, although best for small, deep hollowing. The faceted handle was admired, but too slim many hands.

Ben Orford - shallow curve
Comments on the blade were again largely positive, although best for shallow work. Comments on handle as before, admired but too slim for many hands.

Del Stubbs
Comments on the blade were mixed with as many positive as negative. The handle was largely disliked for being too smooth.

Svante Djarv
Comments on the blade largely positive, although best for small, deep hollowing. Handle pleased most people.

Frosts - deep curve
Mixed response to the blade; those who got it working found it worked ok but some couldn’t get a clean cut and some couldn’t get it to work at all. Handle ok, but some found it a bit fat.

Frosts - Robin modified
The curve of the blade was found to be rather shallow and a little short, but more versatile. Modified handle largely felt to be an improvement.

Frosts - double edged
Most thought the curve of the blade too shallow to be useful and felt the double edge was not of use and was dangerous. Handle as above.

Reviewers summary comments

Those who expressed a preference at the end chose the Ben Orford - deep curve, Svante Djarv & Bo Helgesson. Several comments about the importance of sharpening; getting them really sharp and keeping them that way. Finally some advice from one reviewer: “… different ones will suit different makers and their style and method of working. Start with a cheap Frost, good honest working tool, then try out as many different types as you can before upgrading.”

My comments
From watching and talking to both these reviewers and learners on courses is that the deep, even curves like the Ben Orford - deep curve, Svante Djarv, Frosts - deep curve work well in small, deep shapes and it is easy to get an aggressive cut. However on a larger or more open shapes they tend to leave a ‘ploughed field’ effect. To remove this you either need a second knife with a shallower curve like the Ben Orford - shallow curve, Frosts - double edged, Frosts - Robin modified or vigorous application of sandpaper (yuk!)

If you want to use just one knife you need a more complex curve that offers both the deep and broader curves … and you need to learn how to manipulate it. To use the tighter curve for aggressive, deep cuts you need to hold it more upright:
17hookcut2.jpg

To use the flatter curve for smoother cuts - and for gentle starting out cuts as you first start to hollow - you need to use it at a lower angle:
16hookcut.jpg

Obviously, you can use it at many in-between stages as well.

I like this, which is why I get on well with the Bo Helgesson hook although the Dell Stubbs hook has a similar profile but doesn’t work as well for me. I also tried a Svante Djarv knife with a similar profile that belonged to one of the reviewers and it seemed to offer the same potential, although it was not very sharp at the time. I tried a Ben Orford knife of a similar profile belonging to another of the reviewers, but found the distance from the handle to the steep curve too long so I could not use it in a sufficiently upright position.

Interesting stuff?!
Nicola

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Nice observations Nicola.

I find I have better control using the very end of the hook with a palm up hold. I can almost use the Stubbs hook vertical palm up and that results in a nice tight curve.

I find the smoothness of the Stubbs handle to be an advantage for long carving sessions as it is way easier on my hands than my more aggressive handles on my Kestrel or North Bay crooks.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I find I have better control using the very end of the hook with a palm up hold. I can almost use the Stubbs hook vertical palm up and that results in a nice tight curve.
I'm interested in this 'palm up' approach and should experiment more with it. I was talking about it with one of the reviewers who said he found it worked best with the more open 'crook' knives that are common in the US.
I find the smoothness of the Stubbs handle to be an advantage for long carving sessions as it is way easier on my hands than my more aggressive handles on my Kestrel or North Bay crooks.
It was a warm day and everyone was struggling to get a grip on the handle. We use Del Stubbs straight knives and had the same problem so have given them a gently textured tooled finish to get over the problem.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Nice setting. They look like they are having a grand time.

I learned carving with a double edged Kestrel crook...always palm up with those tools, so when I got the Stubbs hooks it took me a bit to figure out the palm down holds. I think I now do about half and half palm up/down....and still learning.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
That looks like fun. A bit like when I teach my Scouts to use a knife but with more grey hair.

The review results seem familiar to me:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE