Hoof it in the Henog

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
[video=youtube_share;pi1ICexaPjo]https://youtu.be/pi1ICexaPjo[/video]

To say the weather sucked up there in the Henog forest this weekend would be an understatement, fog was thick enough to chew on. Landscape photography and shots of the dam were a fail but aimless wandering sometimes yields unexpected results. Not all of them good like the fallen trees across trails or water that was impossible to safely reach but did find an abandoned bushcraft camp possibly from last year. As it seemed shame to waste this became home for the first night. A quick tidy up of the previous occupants leftovers yielded an unidentifiable small rat-pack pouch (still sealed) and an odd multi-tool.

Day two the camera was really suffering with condensation problems, I wasn't doing much better so slowed right down, got into the trees and explored rather than wandered. The fungi is out in force, lots of Amanita muscaria alas didn't spot any pixies but still finding patches of good blackberries in sheltered areas which is slightly weirder than spotting forest fairies. After soaking my second pair of socks called it a day and bedded down at an old quarry site. Miserable view but slept well, woken only once by the damnedest noise of a slug rasping on the metalwork of the woodstove where soup had splashed. After the panic & then fascination had passed he was relocated with a swift flick of a finger and I wriggled back into my bivvy bag.

Heading down off the hills Monday morning the weather gods taunted me with warm sunshine then laughed hard as my last pair of socks died in ford that's not on the OS map. Squelched the last two miles back to the train station pondering the merits of Yeti gaiters versus a pair of crocs.

henog-001.jpghenog-002.jpghenog-003.jpghenog-004.jpghenog-005.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE