Honey stove

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
I'm contemplating getting the honey stove. What are your thoughts and opinions.
I also want to get the hive expansion. Do you think its worth it?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I liked mine when I had it, I sometimes regret getting rid of it. I switched to the Emberlit which lets you feed in long pieces from the front rather than constantly feeding with little sticks.

My first choice for a wood stove though is my Bushbuddy, the wood gas system just burns more cleanly and efficiently. You lose the flat pack option but I have a number of pots which easily take the BB.

I like the look of Bobs wee titanium pocket stove, that'll be my next tester I think.

Last edited:

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
I was thinking about getting a honey stove or a wildstoves wood gas stove. Similar in price. Looks like it might be the wild stove i go for.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Love mine the original not long bought the upgrades,use it for wood burning,meths,and just the small four side meths version,packs really small cant really fault it for what it is.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Given that its a flat pack stove it's a cracking piece of kit that packs away to nothing. I carry mine when I'm at work and its always done me ok. I tend to get it going with small twigs bark etc then push the end of longer sticks in once it's going. It can be fiddley putting it together when your hands are cold but with practice you get used to it.

I like it, although not used any of the other ones mentioned so can't compare.

Orric

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'll echo the rest: it is quite good at what it does (small, flexible fuel), but is no fun to actually *cook* on. If I'm actually planning on cooking -- rather than heating for a short while -- I'll bring the Moskosel firebox. Boiling rice, pasta, water for tea, etc, in summer: perfect. Cooking real food, or winter: not so great.

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
I like my honey stove but i do think it could have been made easier to assemble. If you decide to get one i'd try and get the 2009 version rather than the 2012 version. The mesh top looks like a cheap alternative to me and i can't see that it's an improvement at all.

My comparison between Bushbuddy, Honey Emberlit:

Bushbuddy:

Pros: Clean burn, easy assembly, versatile with an alcohol back up
Cons: Not flat back (takes up lot's of space in the pot), fire box is small and requires constant tending.

Honey Stove:

Pros: Versatile, multifuel pot stand, relatively large firebox, flatpack
Cons: Fiddly to assemble, a bit too ventilated to be a truly effective windscreen for alcohol stoves, fire grate leaves a ground scar.

Emberlit:

Pros: Easy to assemble, constant feed operation means less fire tending, solid firebox floor leaves no ground scar, versatile with an alcohol stove, providing effective wind screening, flatpack.
Cons:Your not going to cook a 5 course meal for 10 on it, P&P from USA to pay.

The Emberlit is my current brew kit/ light meal/ portable stove and has a permanent place in my day sack.

For a more permanent/ base camp set up, where open fires are not permitted and when cooking for more than two - I use the (heavy) folding fire box - great video review by BareThrills here:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91598

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi outdoordude,
I cant comment on any other wood burning stoves but I do have a Honey stove and love it!!

The versatility of it is its biggest attraction.
I have used it in wood form and find it a throughly enjoyable experience, although for proper cooking you need to use a bed of coals rather than a flame.
I have the 2009 version and also the hive expansion, I have cooked meat straight on the grill, boiled water in a pan using the normal top bit.
You can use only 4 sides and have a small little pocket stove to go out with. you can also burn wood and use a meth stove like the trangia in its 4 sided configuration.

I also use it alot with a tatonka meths burner and simmer ring for proper cooking.

If you want truly light weight, get the Ti Honey stove and a Ti meths burner, for alot cheaper price but heavier you coul get the stainless Honey stove and stainless meths burner, with this set up you have in my opinion alot of different cooking options in 1 package which can do everything you need to do out on a trip.

I think its felxibility is its biggest selling point.
Cheers
Steve

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Thanks for all you input. After all this i think i will get a wildstove wood gas stove. Its like a bushbuddy but folds down flat. There about the same price. i think the fact that the honey stove is so fiddly is what has put me off.
Thanks guys
Jacob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE